Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Focus and Fight. I hope my story will inspire and offer you hope.

I'm 42, very active, I don't smoke and eat relatively healthy (sometimes I'll find myself elbow deep into a Doritos bag)

While exercising, I did something very wrong. After performing a series of sit-ups (sit-ups are bad for the back) I did some weight lifting where I threw out my back. The next day I flew back home from Tokyo, a 13 hour flight where I remained in a twisted seated position which severely furthered my back problem. Once home, I experienced for the first time in my life the excruciating pain known as sciatica. It had completely debilitated my ability to move. It was the worst pain I ever experience in my life. I still remember the extreme difficulty in just taking a shower. I was literally shaking and sweating from the intense pain. I figured if I rest for a week, the pain would go away, but it didn't. Two weeks in, not even a sliver of reduction in pain. 

I'd try to walk and within as little as 2 minutes, the pain on my leg was simply far too intense, My pinky toe was completely numb as was a large portion of my left leg. Sleep was my only refuge and waking up scared the hell out of me as I knew what awaited me.  3 weeks in and the pain persisted so I made a trip to my doctor. She explained that I had torn a disc and it was pushed out pressing on my sciatic nerve and the numbness in my toe and leg might remain for life due to nerve damage. She was blunt, this could be something I may have to live with and manage the pain with medication, or it could go away within a year with physio.

This really got me concerned so I started reading up on my problem, and as I sifted through all the quackery and sleazy sites selling milk shakes that will cure sciatica, I came across this site which made me feel even more depressed.

After reading the forums of so many people who have been bearing this pain for years, some even for 10 years, something within pushed me to find a solution to my problem. I was now 3 weeks in and my pain, which was a genuine disability, didn't just make me want to cry, it also angered me. There was no way I was going to accept this and live the rest of my life popping pain killers which would only end up poisoning my body in the long run.

So I researched as much as I could and came across a medical journal in the library about nerve regeneration by taking magnesium. So I bought a bottle and started taking it, one a day. 

Next I came across some excellent articles regarding the sciatic nerve and exercises to help with people suffering from sciatica. These exercises are known as sciatic stretches and there are many different kinds, I found one which seemed to work best for me and began to do the stretches regularly.

And finally I discovered the Mckenzie exercise (you can look it up). Definitely the best exercise for lower back pain. It helps massage the disc back in place, no longer pushing on the nerve.

I started doing the exercise and stretches regularly everyday and within a week, I found that I was now able to walk for 5 minutes rather than 2 before the pain kicked in forcing me to stop. This is how bad it was where I now felt joy in being able to walk for 5 minutes. I kept taking the magnesium and doing the stretches and exercise and within a month of starting this new regiment, I was 70% better. By month 2, I was 100% better. 

And now that I am completely pain free and mobile, it doesn't mean I've stopped doing the stretches and exercise. I now do them everyday as a form of preventative maintenance. The stretches and exercise is very simple and easy and takes up only 3 minutes of your time. I do it once in the morning and once before going to bed for a grand total of 6 minutes of your time. I now take a magnesium tablet twice a week, just to help maintain good health.

It's now been over a year since that dreadful day. I never even went to see a physio therapist.  The numbness in my leg and toe is completely gone, I'm back to hiking and mountain biking, but I am more mindful whenever I need to bend over or lift something heavy. I also stopped doing sit-ups and instead do planks which is not only excellent in building a firm tummy, but it also builds muscle around your lower back, acting as a natural back brace.

Basically a lifestyle and mindset change is what's needed. Never go back to your old ways if you find yourself getting better. Watch your weight! For all those who have suffered for years, is it because you're overweight? Do you smoke? Smoking is extremely bad for joints and nerves. You must get rid of all your bad habits! Keep doing the exercises, they're simple and easy and exercise is good for you anyways.

Progress takes time, but if you keep at it, you will definitely see an improvement.

advertisement

Comments

• benitezedwin5bbenitezedwin5 Posts: 1
    edited 06/04/2018 - 2:40 AM

I am going to try this! Just by reading this , it gives me hope! Quick question, is there a specific brand of magnesium to buy? 

Member's are not permitted to give brands as this is seen as solicitation Liz, Spine-health Moderator

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526

Warning  Do not take any ones suggestions, ideas, supplements, etc  without first consulting your doctor.  What may work for someone, could create a major problem for someone else.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • Nice info there OP. Thanks for sharing

• MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 701

I agree with Ron and Liz, but from the point of view that the program being promoted is not for everyone whom is suffering from sciatic nerve impingement. The nerve is being impinged and depending on where, these exercises could promote further impingement. Here's my reasons why I think it could pose problems for some: 

RESCUE POSTURE: Adding the pillow puts your pelvis into anterior tilt, and you may already be suffering from APT. If APT is the reason why your disc is bulging the pillow is going to further the problem. Actually this is really my favorite exercise, if done properly (no pillow under low back, arms outstretched 45-90 degrees, palms up), because it puts the pelvis in neutral position and allows the low back muscles to settle to the floor (in time the muscles release). 

PRONE PROP and variations: Another one that puts further impingement to the low back. The key is to allow the low back to release its tension, not add to it. Getting into this position automatically causes the muscles to engage. Keep in mind we want the pelvis and low back to go into neutral positions. 

SIDE GLIDES: May be effective if your lean and tilt are very evident, but some of us have slight symptoms and not able to see as well as others. Also this one promotes impingements in order to perform the exercise correctly. 

Again, these are my personal reasons as to why these may not be for everyone. Always proceed with caution and look for routines that promote muscle release through gravity, and neutral positioning.

As for the magnesium - make sure you get a body chemistry done first to make sure adding more to your diet won't adversely affect you. I fear adding any metals to my diet....

• Magnesium citrate is well absorbed in powder form. There's one form that is poorly absorbed,  can't remember the name .

• advertisement
  • Even McKenzie says his traditional stretches are for posterior bulges and not anterior. I would hope new members woukd do extensive research or ask their doctor.

advertisement