Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Disaster

advertisement

Comments

• V , I am so sorry that all of this is going on. I am here if you ever want to talk , cry , vent , yell at someone , whatever my friend , I am here for you. Please keep us posted as to how you are doing and what is going on.....Miki
  • After 2 solid hours sleep (!) during the night, I attended the evaluation meeting at work today, present was my mentor, our boss, my case worker from the sick pay office scheme, and for moral support lj, my husband .

I stunned them to silence with my news initially . I explained how I was feeling physically and emotionally and it was decided that it was best all round if I stopped work from today. The case worker informed me that she can keep me on sick pay for 6 months , but due to the severity of my injuries and no guarentee of a stable pain free life even after my next operation, she was thinking of applying for a pension for me. Although I don`t really want to be a pensioned off at such a young age, this would leave us with a stable financial outlook for the rest of my life.

My boss said if there was a possibility of me wanting to, and being able to, then she would like me back, no matter how long it took! My mentor agreed.
    They , like me could not believe there were no surgeons available in Denmark to do my complicated surgery at this time and had to have the letter which I received from the Spine Clinic on Saturday read out twice, before it sank in . I got big hugs from my boss and my mentor and other co-workers, and was made to promise to keep them informed on how I was doing.

I cried a little when I left, I think because I shall miss them and also because it was a bit of a shock to have "pension" mentioned , but also a relief that it all went so smoothly.
    We went shopping afterwards and then came home, had lunch and then I slept well on the sofa for 5 hours.
    I can concentrate on looking after myself now and I think I will start swimming, exercize at the pool takes a whole days energy, but my muscles are wasting fast and it is the best way for me to work on my muscles since I can not lie in my back to do core exersizes without pain. I have decided to take my break through oxy as needed from now on and hope this will help my sleeping pattern , I have avoided taking this before as I could never function at work if I took it.

Now I have to wait for the Danish National Health Service to find a solution to my surgical needs, whether it means me going into a hospital on Zealand Island (thats the one where the Capital City Copenhagen is) and then hire a surgeon in from Sweden, Norway or Germany. They may possibly send me abroard.

Viking
  • advertisement
  • I'm really sorry :( That must be terrible. I can't imagine being told I had to wait an unknown amount of time... I am upset over having to wait 6 more weeks. Kind of helps me put things into perspective a bit. I really hope they can find you a good surgeon and you can get your life back.
  • that we both get 6 months sick pay,id hate to think what would have happened without my pay,nows it is indeed time to look after you and hopefully get some resolation to your back complaint
  • you are both very lucky in that respect. We are not so lucky with sick pay here in the states. Good luck Viking. I just know that it will work out for you.
  • advertisement
  • Aw V, I am so sorry to hear what's been happening. Like Doof, I haven't been around much. Things are still getting worse for me!

I hope they find you a new suitable surgeon soon. Sounds like you need a good hol :) I've just had a fantastic girlie hol in Turkey and have come back relaxed and ready to tackle the next instalment of my spinal sava which is 12 months old now.

Am thinking of you hun and miss our coffee mornings too - we should def try cocktail evenings :)

Doof & Ben, hope you guys are well too.

Will try to catch up with you v soon.

Cx
  • Viking >:D< i am so sorry to hear that u have been let down like this at the last moment. I am so shocked that that you have beeen dealt such a cruel blow of fate. I hope they find the surgoen for the job very soon.
    Now you have left owrk you have time to focus on yourself and focus on building and maintianing your strength. Swimming sounds like a good idea
    Have u ever been in a floatation tank? I found it helped with the pain n stiffness a bit at the time and was quite relaxing. U can lay in any position without sinking
    I hope hubby is looking after you well .
    i'll be sending u healing vibes. I hope the DNHS comes up with a speedy solution
    much love martha xox
  • another guilty companion here for not being around lately @) @) !!!!!
    so sorry for all you pain v and i really hope you are feeling a little better of late.
    lets head for next week to get those coffee mornings sorted,we all sure do need a good catch up.
    im so sorry for not being around over the summer, ive lost your number so please please send it to me in a PM.
    lets get this little family of ours back on track what you think big sis????
    ill be here monday 9.30am and hope the others will follow suit ..........ya here me girls!!!!

LOVE PAULA
    OXO
  • Sorry girlies, mornings are no good for me anymore now that I'm back at work, I'm usually home by 1 though if that helps.

Bisto
    xx
  • It has taken me over 24 hours for the contents of the letter I received yesterday to sink in .It was from the Hospital in the next town, they have the task of finding a solution to my predicament of not having a surgeon who is willing to do my somewhat complicated surgery - a re do of a non-fusion .
    The letter says

"We have received a referal from your doctor and we inform you that the waiting list for an ambulant appointment is approximately 4 months and you will receive a letter with a date nearer the time.
    If there are meaningful changes in your condition during this waiting time, you are asked to contact your doctor for a new evaluation."

The letter is accompaied by a print out sheet fron the waiting list website, it is the waiting list for slipped disc ops . They probably sent that as there is no mention on the lists of any operation simular to mine, but it does say that 16 weeks is the expected wait for uncomplicated operations like slipped disc ops .

So I have gone from expecting to have my operation next week to starting from the very beginning with investigations some time after mid January next year. Obviously I have made an appointment with my GP to see what he thinks of it all .He can see me next week . I have a written report of the CT scan, the results of which I have not had a doctor explain them to me properly and can not and will not wait until next year for an answer.

I have a feeling of impending doom , that I have a fight on my hands , but to begin with I shall have to play nice and go through the correct channels, seeing my GP next week is the first step , I shall inform him that I can no longer work, that I have found it necessary to take an extra 5 mg oxy (ER) and have taken oxy (IR) at night when I have woken up with pain and that my life is limited even more since I don`t drive when on oxy and my walking capabilities are becoming poorer and poorer . My mental capabilities are just a joke due to the side effects of Gabapentin (Neurontin ) and Oxy .There is also a quite audible , worrying "click" noise from my metal work occasionally and that this life is just unacceptable and getting worse .Hopefully all this combined should qualify as "meaningful changes in my condition"

So that is the saga so far , I am fed up with it all and am fighting an awful feeling of helplessness all the time, It is very depressing , being the buck that they are passing along , and not having the energy to get on with anything in particular, in fact my main triumph today was having a shower, washing my hair and putting clean pjs on. (I ended up sitting for most of my shower as I can`t stand up for that long)

I shall write again here when I have seen my GP next week .

Thankyou to all who have replied with their support and their friendship. :> Viking
advertisement