Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Loose/broken screws but NO relevant pain? i nee

Two years ago I had surgery to fix my scoliosis. About a year later, we discovered there was a broken screw. I had no pain so my surgeon decided to leave it alone. 

Fast forward to a week ago. 

I was having some pretty bad pain in my back, to the point i couldnt stand without my shoulder killing me. I went to get x-rays, because I was worried it was because of the broken screw (it wasnt! i just hurt my shoulder helping lift my grandmother up every day, as she needs help in/out of bed, etc.) 

Upon looking at my xrays, my doctor noticed that although it wasnt the cause of my pain, I did have ANOTHER loose screw... plus the broken one. 

He’s sending me out of state to see my surgeon again and im TERRIFIED hes gonna tell me i need more surgery! I have no pain at all, I’m just scared he might decide I need it anyways. 

What do you think? I’m really hoping I dont need more surgery. It would literally RUIN my birthday, and pretty much the rest of my year. I dont wanna go through that surgery ever again, because the recovery was so embarrassing and painful for me. Opinions?

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,071

Hello princesa!!
    Welcome to Spine-Health

I can tell you do not want another surgery and I don't blame you. But you need to ask your surgeon why he wants to do surgery? What will happen if you don't? That is what would bother me the most, what damage will these screws do in the future? And how much pain? If they will cause future problems, it will ruin more than your birthday. 
    Make you a list of questions to take with you so you don't forget anything and good luck.

Please click on the Welcome link below and the Tutorial to help you get started on the forum
    Welcome to Spine Health

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,440

hiya

for me it would depend on where and what that screw may damage if left with a sharp edge hanging out. of course your doctor will know best!  for me i think if its not in danger of doing anything bad then i wod consider waiting until it hurt...depending on where it is and all that.

good luck at the surgeons.  let us k ow how it goes and how you are doing!

Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• advertisement
  • I had a second surgery because one of the screws was in at an angle which was sticking out my back and hurting to toucj that area. to go in and just remove that screw and small section of rod was not as bad as the org surgery. it was out patient surgery and only set me back about a month..so it wasn't bad at all, compared to the frist one., I agree with the rest thoe, ask what will happen if you do nothing. once you know all the risk, you will be able to make a better decision on which way to go..good luck, waiting to hear how you make out