Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Nortriptylene with Gabapentin

Hi there, I’m new to this site and was looking for some advice.  Five months ago I started having tingling calves and pelvis, some numbness left leg but no pain other than tightness around right ribcage area.  I ended up in hospital as my GP thought I may have Guilin Barre (apologise for spelling) syndrome as I had tingling randomly in arms at times too.  I was given an MRI which showed L4/L5 degeneration and bulge and L5/S1 bulge.  No explanation was ever given for right side rib pain.  I was doing a lot of weights at the time and can only assume I had some soft tissue injury at same time.  Fast forward a few weeks and I then began to get pain in lower left lumbar area which has continued ever since along with calve tingling and now mid back pain and tightness.  I tired accupuncture and didn’t like the experience and I’m currently using Bowen therapy although I’ve been 5 times and I’m really not sure if it’s helping or not.  For three months I resisted medication other than ibuprofen but I have now succumbed to nortriptylene.  I have worked up to 40mg once a day.  It helps the pain a bit but I still feel achey, tight and uncomfortable and I get a lot of burning pain.  Someone has suggested I try Gabapentin and I wondered if anyone had used this with nortriptylene?  I really do not want to gain weight as I was very fit and I’ve now not been able to exercise for 5 months.  The whole situation is extremely depressing and my husband is finding it difficult to cope with too.  I’m waiting for a referral to neurosurgeon, not that I want surgery but hopefully for some advice.   At the moment I’m kind of  self medicating as my GP is a bit useless in this regard.   Any advice would be most welcome or just a friendly chat as I’m feeling a bit out on my own at the moment. 

advertisement