Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

[UK] Not quite on topic but need help with benefits


I have had to step down to part time work because the pain of spinal compression playing with nerves (in very short, humorous terms) and can't actually take the drop in income financially - I need help. I was wondering if I could claim any benefits (UK), even if temporary, that could help me with this situation, and if they would be taxable? I've looked at this tax calculations website but not found much on benefits. It's slowly getting better, but that's the issue: slowly. I can't afford to take out a loan, and don't have enough in savings to keep going for long. Can someone advise?



  • Not being from the UK, I really can't give solid advice on where to search.  Are there any public assistance agencies in your community?

    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Hi Nind

    This is unusual because you are working part-time.

    Probably best to start either with your doctor for advice about a fit for work note with your restrictions on hours and work maybe.  You may need this to get help or advice from the Job Centre and Council to help you with any benefits or housing benefits you may be entitled to.

    The other thing to check is if you have any mortgage payment protection via any insurances you may have, if this applies.

    If you are entitled to any help via Income Support, you may also be entitled with help with prescription costs, plus sight and dental support.  There are different kinds of support, so make sure you check exactly what you can claim for to avoid any issues further down the road.

    You may be able to get further help and advice from The Citizens Advice Bureau.

    I hope you are able to find any support you are entitled to.

    Take care




    L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • advertisement
Sign In or Register to comment.