Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

3 1/2 months post surgery and frustrated.

At first, I seemed to be doing so well. Since the brace came off I seem to be going backwards. The pain is worse. My posture is terrible and I can't stand up straight. I have to use my cane when going out anywhere and still can't walk very far without having to sit down for a bit. The rods feel like I have tiger claws digging into my back. I'm back on some pain meds - usually later in the day when I can't stand it anymore. I am going to physical therapy twice a week and doing the exercises once or twice daily.  I had T5-L5 fusion with rods. I am also almost 64 years old. Maybe my expectations for a quick recovery weren't very realistic. I will be getting x-rays and seeing my surgeon later this month. Hopefully everything has stayed in place. I'm really just venting. I know by reading on here that it's a long recuperation time with lots of ups and downs. I probably just need to keep at it and be patient. Thanks for listening. 

advertisement

Comments

• lollypeg:  I understand your feelings and your need to vent.  It's frustrating to go through such an intense surgery and not to feel 

increasingly better. I've found this to be a two steps forward, one step back scenario.  

I'm 7 months out from L1-S1 fusion (also for scoliosis) I was doing very well at 6 months, but now am having more pain again.

Yes, it's a long recuperation, and I also may have unrealistic expectations of myself at age 61.

Keep up the PT and walking. That's what I'm doing!

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 427

i am 1 year and 7 months out and just this week managed to stand up totally straight. hang in there. you are seriously early in you recovery still-its going to take up to 2 years my surgeon told me!!and where i am now i believe it!  keep taking what you need for pain and be gentle to yourself. and be gentle on yourself. these are huge surgeries and take a ton of patience and perseverence and looking forward to get through! (i am t10 to s2 and pelvis)

Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, decompressions, facet joints removed. cages L4-5, L5-S1, rods, screws, scoliosis reduced to 0*.
    June 2015: Inflam facet arthrosis L1-S, pars fractures L5 and L2, 70* lateral scoliosis with 110* rotational scoliosis on reduction, facet cysts with nerve impingements bilaterally L2-3, L3-4, L4-5, spinal stenosis L2-L4

• advertisement
  • hi lollypeg

o yes vent away, beleave it or not venting helps. you need to express your frustration then put it all in perspective. you have a long ways to go. patients is hard I know, but I so remember what it feels like to be where you are right now. at your stage I was walking around the trcak every day, with my cane!! I am 59 now  will hit 60 this yr was 58 when I was fused t9 to s2 with pelvic. the physical thyrapy is so important...keep at it. and walk as much as you can. a morning walk...then again after supper if you can. as WLLady said 2 steps forwards..one back. I am almost 17 months out and I still have minor setback now and then. most likely  I will for the rest of my life. hang in there, we are all right there with ya. just stop and look for a sec at how far you have all ready come..and don'r be afrade to vent here when needed, but also post progress notes..lol hang in there

• o I can not count..more like 19 months..lol o how time flys

• Thank you all for listening. Today is a better day. For some reason I try to stay off the pain meds more than I probably should. My therapist worked me over pretty good this morning and it helped. I'm grateful that my insurance allows me to continue therapy pretty much indefinitely. Reading other people's experiences is very helpful and I was glad to hear from others that are in my age group. Thanks to all of you.

• advertisement
advertisement