Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
Data Entry Job – SCAM!

We are aware that someone out there is using our CEO’s name and our company name to “recruit” people for a data entry job. It is a fake. Please do not give them any of your personal information. We are not now, nor have we ever, had data entry positions available.

Battery Revision

Hi everyone,

I had my implant put in May 2017.  My battery site
was initially low on my right abdomen  causing it to rub on a cluster of
nerves and leaving me with constant pain and swelling.  In October 2017, I
decided to have a revision and my battery site was moved up 6 inches
(just above my belt line) on my abdomen. 

The surgery seemed a success for about
three months.  Then I started with burning pain at my battery site and
constant swelling with ANY activity.  I just revisited my doc who has
suggested that  because there is constant rubbing of the battery site it
is creating chronic aggravation and inflammation. 

My doc has suggested ANOTHER revision to move the battery up slightly and angle it more
towards my rib cage.  I am frustrated and a little nervous about another
surgery due to the recovery time and chances of leads and parts being
fractured or damaged during surgery.  Has anyone had any similar issues?

Thank You
advertisement

Comments

• My battery is in my "flank" (upper buttock) and I had a revision (with new battery) last year. The system functioned as normal immediately after the revision, but stopped working (no stim) within a few months after. As it turned out, both leads had fractured. I can't definitively say that this was caused by the revision, but I didn't suffer any type of fall or impact that would have caused the lead fracture. Performance just degraded over time (I had to keep turning stim levels higher and higher) until the system stopped working - almost like the leads had become frayed or brittle due to manipulation during the revision and finally just failed.

So this is just anecdotal experience on my part, but possibly a real concern. Another thing to keep in mind is that your battery could move somewhat after placement, so if you're only moving it slightly will it make a difference for you? Sounds like a tough decision.

• BDUBSBBDUBS New YorkPosts: 37

What brand of SCS device have you tried?

• advertisement
  • I have the medtronic 37751 device. This is the only stimulator brand that is offered here where I am.  Thank you for sharing Vince in Philly. One of my biggest concerns too is fracturing a lead with changing the battery site. The stimulator has been such a HUGE success with my pain management, I just need to get the battery placement issues resolved.