It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test
The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
Data Entry Job – SCAM!
We are aware that someone out there is using our CEO’s name and our company name to “recruit” people for a data entry job. It is a fake. Please do not give them any of your personal information. We are not now, nor have we ever, had data entry positions available.
Having surgery on Tuesday. What questions should I ask?
The surgery, according to my instruction sheet, will be a "bilateral L5-S1 laminotomy foraminotomy possible discesctomy."
The surgeon who is performing the operation has a very good reputation and was recommended by several doctors. However, my main doctor described him (quite charitably) as "terse." My two appointments with the surgeon to date have lasted perhaps 3 minutes each. I don't expect him to volunteer extra information, so I want to make sure I ask the right questions. On my list so far:
- Why only a "possible" discesctomy? (He didn't mention a discesctomy during my appointment. I only saw it on the paperwork mailed out by his office. It does make sense given my scans, but I want to understand his intentions.)
- What are the risks?
- What red flags should I watch out for post-surgery?
- When can I start physical therapy?
- Can you refer me to a PT? (I asked my regular doctor for a referral; he said the surgeon would have a better recommendation.)
- How long will it be before I can...? (followed by a long list of my normal activities)
Also, if anyone has any tips or advice to share, I'd be most grateful!