Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Ongoing Tailbone and Lower-back Pain

I have had ongoing tailbone and lower-back pain for years now. I am 22 years old, and I have had tailbone pain since I was around 18, and was not caused by an injury of any type. I was spending a lot of time in the car and one day the pain arose and hasn't gone away since. 

I've had lower-back pain since I started working in at a very physically demanding job, and haven't been able to get rid of it. I have had MRIs, X-Rays, seen chiropractors, physiotherapists, massage therapists, etc. and still can't get rid of the pain. I've tried a wide variety of medications including anti-inflammatory medicine, and Humira. Still nothing. I'm at a loss here, the pain is unbearable and I don't know what to do. Stretching makes it worse, and the pain is always worse in the mornings. I found that one stretch in particular replicates both pain in my tailbone and lower-back at the same time. The cat cow stretch, when I am arched with my neck tucked in towards my chest, it replicates an excruciating pulling pain in my tailbone and lower back. As soon as I put my neck upwards, the pain goes away. i was wondering why that may be. 

Please, if any of you have any advice, let me know. I can't stand to even get up in the morning and go to school at this point. Thank you.

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,933

SeanCasey96
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Finding the cause of pain can be very frustrating, especially when you've done everything you can. To me, the only other option would be to get a second opinion. But at what cost. more diagnostic testing? Maybe, but it might be worth it. Below are a couple of articles to read.
    When there is no cure for your aching back

Being young with spinal problems 

While you are waiting on other members to reply, please click on the Welcome link below and Tutorial for information on the forum.
    Welcome to Spine Health

I hope you find a solution so please keep us posted.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • L4_L5LL4_L5 Posts: 1,325
    edited 08/01/2018 - 1:07 PM

Stretching makes it worse, and the pain is always worse in the mornings.
    After an examination last year, a chiropractor told me not to do any exercise at the gym or home and strongly advised no type of stretching either. He also said not to pick up anything (how on earth is that even possible when I’m working).

Maybe a pelvic/abdominal CT would reveal your issue? 

Have you had cervical, thoracic and lumbar MRI’s or just lumbar?

• advertisement
  • Thanks for the reply! I’ve had an MRI of the pelvis and lumbar spine and showed no issues. I went to an Osteopath recently and he actually succeeded in making my back feel better for the day. Went from a pain level 7 to a 3-4. Gonna continue seeing him and see if it helps.

• Dont do any stretches without consulting an expert. Yoh may be aggravating it.

I used to get bad tail bone pain. Turned out it was the way i was sitting on a hard chair! I used to love to sit at my pc, gaming.

Got other issues now where lying down is better for me but, no tail bone pain!

• MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 689

What did your xrays show about your pelvic alignment? You said you were spending a lot of time in the car (sitting). Did you also sit to eat? Watch TV? Computer? Socialize? Your sitting may have far outweighed your non-sitting periods. Does "cat" or "cow" aggravate the pain more? It is possible you may not be doing the proper prerequisite stretches leading up to cat/cow..

• advertisement
  • Maybe you need a mri of the sacrum.  I even had one doc tell me that I had trouble with my coccyx and might need it removed.  After I saw a spine doc, a mri of the sacral region and si joint revealed a number of issues.  I think you need to be assessed by a spine doc and to avoid exercise until a doctor can diagnose you.  And remember, the lack of a "reason" on an mri doesn't mean your pain is imaginary.  So many of us here have had to persevere for a diagnosis, so please pursue it.

advertisement