Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

RETURNING TO WORK AFTER ACDF SURGERY

I am new to this group and want to thank you all in advance for all the great/very helpful information that has been posted in the forum. I am due to have the acdf surgery c4-c5 on 9/10 and was wondering how long did it take for most of you all to return to work after your surgery- thanks

advertisement

Comments

• caligirlcaligirl Posts: 34
    edited 08/06/2018 - 1:34 AM

@botanika2 I had the ACDF C5-C7 with donor bones on June 12 and returned to work after 6-1/2 weeks post surgery. I had to wear a hard cervical collar 24/7 for six weeks but I came to love it as I thought my neck was safe and secure in it. Now that I’m not wearing it, I’m doing physical therapy to turn my head more and more each day. Right now I can turn my head 35 degrees (normal head rotation is 60 degrees.) 

It’s important that my head can turn more so I can drive to work on my own.  My husband has been driving me to and from work 25 miles each way!) but tomorrow I am driving myself. I did well today driving to the park after not driving for 7 weeks.

Though my job is not labor intensive I would have liked to have had two more weeks before going back to work. I am exhausted at the end of the day, with shoulders and arms more sore than when I was resting at home. I’m at the computer for about 65% of the day.  

Best of luck on your ACDF in September. I’m sure it will go as well as mine did.

• My first ACDF surgery was done 2 years ago and I returned to work 4 weeks after surgery. I did not have to wear a hard neck collar so I was able to drive myself to work the first day back. I was a 5th grade teacher at that time and I wished I could have waited 6 weeks to go back as I was in enough pain that I iced my neck off and on throughout the day for about a month. 

I had my second surgery exactly one month ago to take the plate out for C5 - C7 and to fuse C3 - C4. I am retired now and just taking it easy. Less pain than last time, but then again, I have no schedule. Best of luck with your surgery. 

• advertisement
  • I just had ACDF on 7/21.  Plate removed at C5/C6 from my first fusion March 2011 and new fusion with cadaver bone at C6/C7.  I work 40-50 hours a week in an office setting.  My Dr has given me up to 12 weeks off but I’m pretty sure I’m going to have to return at 6 weeks due to finances.  

I’m still in quite a bit of pain and I remember from the first one it took about 5-6 months to get back to being pretty much pain free   I really hope i can figure something out to be able to take at least 8 weeks   

Best of luck on your surgery 

• I had ACDF on my L4-L5 on 6/26.  Before surgery I didn't know what was wrong had alot of burning in my back and legs.  After the 3rd MRI they found the disc bulging in my neck on my spinal cord.  I saw the Dr on Wed 6/20 and he said we needed surgery immediately.  

After surgery for the first week I was pretty well doped up on pain meds and muscle relaxers.  As time has gone on, I still have some burning going on, but it is definitely not as bad.  It still is frustrating.  I think everyone thinks it is a quick fix with surgery, but they say it takes time to heal.  

On that note, the Dr. put me on 6 weeks leave.  I went back yesterday 8/6 and explained I still had the burning going on, but was having some good days followed by bad days.  He said that was a good sign.  My X Ray showed that my fusion is healing well.  I work in a warehouse with a lot of manual labor, so he said that we should wait and take another 6 weeks of medical leave to make sure everything is healed.  That was fine with me because I didn't feel like I was ready to go back and I definitely don't want to screw anything up.  

On another note, I told him I was out of the muscle relaxers and Hydrocodone.  He prescriped me Lyrica which is for nerve pain.  I must say I just started it last night and woke up with less pain.  So hopefully getting this in my system will be good.  As I told my husband this morning, I almost feel normal again.  We will see

• I had ACDF on my L4-L5 on 6/26.  Before surgery I didn't know what was wrong had alot of burning in my back and legs.  After the 3rd MRI they found the disc bulging in my neck on my spinal cord.  I saw the Dr on Wed 6/20 and he said we needed surgery immediately.  

After surgery for the first week I was pretty well doped up on pain meds and muscle relaxers.  As time has gone on, I still have some burning going on, but it is definitely not as bad.  It still is frustrating.  I think everyone thinks it is a quick fix with surgery, but they say it takes time to heal.  

On that note, the Dr. put me on 6 weeks leave.  I went back yesterday 8/6 and explained I still had the burning going on, but was having some good days followed by bad days.  He said that was a good sign.  My X Ray showed that my fusion is healing well.  I work in a warehouse with a lot of manual labor, so he said that we should wait and take another 6 weeks of medical leave to make sure everything is healed.  That was fine with me because I didn't feel like I was ready to go back and I definitely don't want to screw anything up.  

On another note, I told him I was out of the muscle relaxers and Hydrocodone.  He prescriped me Lyrica which is for nerve pain.  I must say I just started it last night and woke up with less pain.  So hopefully getting this in my system will be good.  As I told my husband this morning, I almost feel normal again.  We will see....

Hope this helps you and or anyone else. 

• advertisement
advertisement