Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

“Dopomax”

Forgive me dear readers if I have asked this before as it is a symptom of this medication.   I had been on Topopmax in the early 2000 for migraines and tolerated it well execept i was a little  Dopey...thus the  Dopamax.   It helped my migraines. But I was always too out of it at work.  I am trying it now off label for nerve pain because I can’t tolerate goalies and gabapentententin.  Has anyone else tried this off label .

advertisement

Comments

• I was on topamax early on, and it killed off my appetite, so I had to go off it.

It was a while ago, and I believe the dosage was 100 mg. 

• ExdancerEExdancer Cumbria, UKPosts: 9

What is topamax?  Is this a US drug and is it available in the UK?

• advertisement
  • it is an entiepleptic used also for migraines

• so sorry, my vision at night is terrible and I was typing the wrong keys it is for epilepsy

• Yes, I used/use it offline.  My doctor prescribed it for nerve pain, as well.  Not too sure if it has worked for that because I also take Ibuprofen and Norco, but I am still on 50 mg of Topamax.  I titrated VERY slowly up to an eventual dosage of 300 mg daily, and only take it at night since it makes me drowsy.  It does not affect me in a way that would make me unable to work, but when I was on 300 mg, I did have a little bit of transposing my letters when I typed really fast (I would type TPYE instead of TYPE without realizing it until I would proof read my work, and was surprised but found it was a side effect).  I also had horrible heartburn, but it was relieved with Nexium daily.  That, too, is a side effect.  Once I titrated down to 50 mg, those symptoms disappeared.  Again, I'm not sure if it has helped at all with nerve pain, but I've chosen to stay on the low dose because it helps with my blood pressure, keeping it down a little.  Hope this helps...also, in the beginning, you do lose your appetite and have a weird taste in your mouth.  For those that want to lose weight, it is used off label as a weight loss pill, as well.

• advertisement
  • Same here. It's like I hear what a person says, but my brain doesn't get it. Hence the "Dopamax". And yeah, major typos and word problems!

advertisement