Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

L5-S1 microdiscectomy continued numbness/burning

I am 3.5 weeks post microdiscectomy with continued weakness, numbness and burning in left leg. I still get sciatic pain after standing, sitting or just doing too much. At two week appointment, doctor said most pain would be muscular, but I’m concerned about this nerve pain (about a 3 out of 10 in pain, more annoying than anything). 

Is week 3 post op nerve pain to be expected? Also, anyone have sensation return to a numb foot?

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,473

dani_t
    please click on the welcome link and tutorial below for information on the forum.
    welcome to spine health     all new members should take the system tutorial
    3 weeks, 6 weeks, sometime longer for nerve pain to subside. you mentioned you are having sensations in what was a numb foot. that sounds great to me. the nerves are finally working and were not permanently damaged.
    use ice packs, it really helps with the burning. and talk to your doctor.

take care and we hope to hear from you soon.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • How long did you have sciatic pain before surgery? 

My nerve was pinched for almost a year before I had surgery and it was really bad for a couple months leading up to it. My doc said it would take up to 6 months for numbness to go away, possibly a year. I, luckily, haven't had any numbness, though. He also told me that increasing symptoms without increasing activity is something to worry about. A lot of times we don't realize that we are feeling a little better so we increase our activity a little, stressing our backs a bit more and maintaining our symptoms even though we are actually doing better.

Either way, the hardest thing to do after surgery is to have patience. I'm pretty sure we all have flare ups or extended painful periods. Take care of yourself while it is flaring up and try to be patient. Over the past week I swore I re-herniated, still might have, but it is starting to get a bit better. I have an MRI scheduled but I'm considering delaying it. I'm 7 weeks out from a L5-S1 microD. 

• advertisement