Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pain improved on ketogenic diet

3dm33dm New MexicoPosts: 24
edited 08/07/2018 - 8:54 AM in Chronic Pain

I had surgery on L4L5 and L5SI a little over 2 years ago.  Whilst recovering I managed to herniate L3L4. My pain had been about a 7 most days  since the new injury.  I also had RFA on my lower faucets joints due to some osteoarthritis. I had one more steroid injection on the recent herniation and I was considering another surgery.  I am a 47 year old female.  

I knew I needed to also lose weight and had tried several diets.  I finally decided to give keto a go.  Within one week my back pain (and sciatica) was greatly improved. After about 2 weeks I was able to start hiking again without bending over in pain.  As of today I am down 29 pounds and I am hiking about 2.5 miles per day. I am no longer taking Gabapentin or Meloxicam. Essentially my diet is managing my pain.  

Has anyone else experienced improved mobility and pain reduction on a keto diet?  Thanks

advertisement

Comments

• Way to go! Congrats! 

I’m not on that diet but just wanted to say excellent work.  :)

• 3dm33dm New MexicoPosts: 24

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,905

Congratulations!! I'm really impressed at your hiking. Great job!!

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • 3dm33dm New MexicoPosts: 24

Thank you.  I really think the ketogenic diet reduced my inflammation.  Unless I really over do something such as lifting or gardening, I feel back to normal. 

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,905

My grandson has been doing Keto since last year and it's been amazing to see him lose all the weight but he is never hungry. He's not real strict on himself with it but is still losing. He had to go buy a whole new wardrobe when he got to where he wanted to be. And, like you, feels so much better about his back.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
  • My wife and I started Keto in January.  We were strict with it for about two months.  I also started hormone replacement because my testosterone was getting slammed by all the pain meds.  Between the diet and shots, I'm down 28 pounds from where I was.  I have more energy now than what I've had in a while, but that has been going against me a bit.  Since I was feeling better, I started doing more and unfortunately, the last two months or so have been exponentially worse then earlier this year. 

I saw my PM a few weeks ago and she thinks I may have damaged one or both of my rods because of where I'm getting poked and the sharpness of the pain.  I'm hoping she will order an MRI this month along with standard X-rays.  The x-rays will show a hardware problem whereas the MRI should show everything else.

Another HUGE advantage to Keto is my A1C is down from 8.4 to 6.1.  I've been able to cut my diabetes medication in half.  If I get it below 5.5, I can come off of it all together.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
advertisement