Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Changing medications for chronic pain at certain intervals

Has anyone Ever try different drugs at intervals for chronic pain. Such as taking morphine for three months and switching over to   Oxycodone for three.   Months, then switching again to something else for three months. 

advertisement

Comments

• HI
    I have tried it a few times over the years once it helped and the other time it did not. My problem is I have taken them for so long and so many changes have not seemed to matter in my later years. But I would certainly give it a shot if your doctor is willing. I have read on here and talked to others who have had great success just even changing like from one to another in the same family. My husband went from Precocet to a generic and got more relief strange but it is in the ingredients I think.
    Wish you luck in getting more relief is that what you are hoping for?
    Take care Sherri

• I have actually been changing up meds for almost 20 years.

When I begin to feel one isn't working as well or not lasting as long as it should, we change it up.

I go back and forth between Oxycontin and MScontin and that works quite well for me.

Sometimes it is years between changes.

It was 3 years before I made my last change but I know others who change much more frequently than I do.

Whatever works.

One of my previous Doctors would have me take a drug holiday every now and then where I weaned off completely, but came to realize that just  changing up the meds worked just as well with no suffering.

It's always worth trying.

Cindy

• advertisement
  • When I was still taking pain medication, I switched between percocet and norco every 6 months.  It worked very well.