Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Microdiscectomy L5/S1 8/13/18

Feeling good, scared every minute about reherniating the disc. Please tell me you’ve had this done and everything is ALL good, long term! I’m hopeful that I will get my life back. 

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,282

You will find so many people who have had great success with this type of surgery.   But you will also read posts from people that have had problems.   Generally, you will hear more about the problems then the positive outcomes.

Reherniating a disc is not an easy thing to do.  I can understand why so many people are worried about this.  Especially after surgery when there are all sorts of different pains.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,067

Regina767676
    Welcome to Spine-Health

While you are waiting on other members to reply, please give us some more information about yourself. Why did you have the surgery? What brought this on? Have you done PT? 

Please click on the Welcome link below and the Tutorial to get you started on the forum.
    Welcome to Spine Health

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
  • Hi - I had a laminectomy/disectomy for L5/s1 on August 10th. So curious how you are feeling. I’m feeling good - pain is much less than before, but still some here and there. I’m constantly afraid of reherniating and trying to be so careful.  My muscles in the affected leg feel super tight and I still have significant numbness  I know that it can take a year for numbness to go away, but I would imagine most people discover an immediate return of feeling, so I’m not super hopeful in that department  

I’ve still got a month before Dr will let me start PT. 

Hope you are well!

• I had a l5/s1 laminectomy/discetomy on 8/22. My left side was the problem side. For the most part the spasming has stopped. My incision area is tender and I'm still struggling to sleep on my back (I've been a tummy sleeper my whole life). I, too, and being overly cautious about reherniation but my Dr has said while I should be careful it's pretty tough to do if I'm following the guidelines. 

I don't have another visit with the dr until week 6, but I'm hoping for PT. I'm researching local area PT centers and trying to find one that has water access and a gym like setting. The final straw to my pain that sent me to see a surgeon happened in a gym and I'm not terrified to ever feel that much pain again. 

I head back to work this week with strict restrictions from the doctor. Luckily, I have a desk job and an understanding boss. 

• Glad to hear you’re feeling well. This recovery thing is so nerve racking!  Please post an update. I start PT on 9/21 and am pretty nervous. 

• advertisement
  • smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 447

I don't know if this is helpful...but I've had the discectomy at L5-S1.  I went ahead with it after speaking personally to several people who've had it done and never had another back issue after that!  I believe if you follow the post-op instructions you are giving yourself the very best chance at a significant if not complete recovery.  I've heard/read that many re-herniations are beyond your control, not so much what you did or didn't do, but just the luck of the draw, I guess.  I re-herniated nearly a year post-op, doing everything right.  But I'm not sorry that I tried a minimally invasive procedure first.  Waiting now for fusion surgery date.  All the best to you in your recovery!

advertisement