Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

pain low and back - no comfort

Hi.  I'm sure this is something that everyone goes through with existing back issues.  I've had surgery/back.  Looking at low back and neck for the future.  Right now I'm just trying to find a mattress that will help with support through the night.  Just got rid of a tempurpedic, let my lumbar sag.  Trying a Number bed, can't find that magic number, now waking up at 4:00 a.m every morning from tossing & turning.  I saw where an advertisement was shown on here, a Saatvia.  I'm so tired of trying beds, you can't go to the store and sleep on them for a week to see if you get any results.  My husband can sleep on a rock, I believe.  Does anyone out there have any suggestions on a mattress, its getting close to time to keep or return this number bed?  Your help will be much appreciated.

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,620

Hello kacki10314 

Welcome to Spine Health

Members are not permitted to make recommendation as all spine patients are different what is good for one may not be good for another. This link should be helpful

https://www.spine-health.com/wellness/sleep/considerations-when-buying-a-new-mattress

All new members should take the System Tutorial

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,923

Below is another link to mattress guide lines.
    Mattress Guidelines 

Like Liz stated, everyone is different. Just keep researching, look at reviews.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
  • mgranados2mmgranados2 Posts: 5
    edited 08/22/2018 - 2:24 AM

Hi there. Great question. I think I can be of great help, since I too struggle with lower back pain, had it acute, and dealing with it chronically. Over the years I've adjusted my own bed and made things work for a short amount of time, and then I used a mattess topper...believe it or not, they work really well. After years of using my LUCID 3 mattress topper, I needed extra Back support from the bed frame. 

So I turned to looking online. I was reccomended to look at Nectar, Purple, and Bear. I've tried temperupeudic and it just doesn't hold up too well. In the end after trying various mattresses, I got myself a Nectar and It's been the best decision I made. 2 and 1/2 years with one so far. It works well for a firm/medium feel. It's memory foam, so if that's what you're into, it will work great. I'm a back pain advocate, and so I have a blog to help others that have been or are going through back pain like I am. I have tips and have a test to see if a mattress is really the problem. [EDIT]

5.05 You agree not to engage in any solicitation either on the Spine-health.com forums or via email to Spine-health.com viewers.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

• MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 688

In my opinion, your mattress has little to do with low back pain. I've had the same mattress during low back pain and sciatica and now have neither, but have the same mattress. I've never had any surgeries. I do prepare myself for sleep but getting ample amounts of movement through the day as well as preparing my body/muscles first thing when I wake (by doing targeted routines each morning). I also make sure I am keeping well hydrated through the day as well. 

A few things I do add to my mattress are bolsters or rollers. There about 12" long. I use a 2" round under my low back, and a 3" round under my neck. I've gotten rid of my pillow as well. This does mean I am now a back sleeper. The goal here is to get the spine to be in proper curvature during sleep. I am to the point now that I do not use them every night. Some people will roll up towels and use them if they cannot find the bolsters. 

Of course this is not the end-all to my pain, and I'm not stating it will be for yours, but perhaps it can provide some relief without the hefty price tag that a mattress brings!   

• ExdancerEExdancer Cumbria, UKPosts: 9

Are you able to indicate where we can find these bolsters?   Online?  

• advertisement
  • MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 688

@Exdancer Oh so sorry. I hadn't been on in a while as I was out on vacation. I get them direct from my chiropractor, but you can go online to maxliving. Then go to store. Then spinal correction. Look for progressive rolls. I started with medium, and am now up to firm. Looks like I can start getting them online since they sell them without the covers (my chiro only sells with covers). I use a sock for the cover as it seems to hold much better than the covers that come with them. 

advertisement