Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Really depressed after MRI result... What to do next???

advertisement

Comments

• Ok back! (har har)

Anyway,  went to see the ortho/neuro doctor today and all's not doom and gloom from him. We took an Xray, on a table this time instead of the other place's standing. I think maybe it is perspective but from the table, the L2 and L3 are closer than the others BUT not as close as they were from the standing xray from another place. So that is comforting to know to say the least. 

We did some basic tests like squatting, knee lift etc and nothing bothered me. He said i need to focus more on core exercise through PT and it should help. The slight numbness may go away but if it gets worse i should see him and he can do some tests specifically on the left shin. He didn't even offer any shots which was comforting i guess. He also told me i should lose weight... i am 60 over my ideal so i am hoping i can get rid of that before year's end - i guess pre-new years resolution?

He did prescribe me to see a PT place but I *think* i might just go to the same chiro place for now since they also incorporate PT into my regimen.  Or should i focus exclusively on a PT place and not a combo like the chiropractor's office?

I am planning to let the chiro see the new xrays this coming session because it didnt look as bad as the other one but it is clear that there's something...

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,269

My own personal opinion would be to stay away from the chiropractor.  I know many other members will second that and some have actually be hurt more using a chiropractor

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • shaselaisshaselai Posts: 16
    edited 08/27/2018 - 4:24 PM

What happened that would make people stay away from them vs PT? I read this site:

I think it got good reason for one or another, but here's what my chiro does right now :

1. Cupping 10 mins

2. Acupuncture 20 mins

3. Adjustment on back 5 mins

4. Traction table 5 mins

5. stretching exercise 5 mins

definitely less on the physical therapy part and i want to do more of that. I might try a PT session and see how it differs..

Edit: i called chiro and cancelled this week's appointments. Will schedule future sessions at a later date. I am not against chiro at this point but thinking back the past ~2 months i havent really gotten better/worse and since the PT is only 4-5 weeks, the worst thing that can happen is me going back to Chiro.....

• The main problem you have is that you are seeing a Chiropractor who is not trained to manage this diagnosis. See an orthopedist.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • advertisement
  • Yeah, i am attending first therapy session today. Not sure how it will pan out but it is 5 weeks long so it cant be worse. From their description they do a variety of therapies which on paper seems to be a decent mix, but obviously it will depend on how they want to treat me. 

Passive Physical Therapy:

• Heat packs
    • Ice packs
    • Massage
    • Ultrasound
    • Nerve stimulation

Active Physical Therapy:

• Stretching
    • Balance activities
    • Coordination drills
    • Range-of-motion exercises
    • Strengthening exercises
    • Aerobic conditioning
  • Did my first session yesterday with PT:

1. he did a series of tests but in the end the "best guess" is that the area to my L2/L3 is a bit sore to the touch. Which basically confirms what we already know that L2 and L3 are a bit close.

2. he did an electrode therapy on back with heat pad which felt interesting.

3. he did teach me some exercises related to legs to do at home.

I came out a bit confused and semi-relieved. I guess it might not be anything serious but it still sucks he can't figure out what it is. The pain occurs only in certain motions and its only maybe 2-3 on a scale of 10. But having it still sucks. I am hoping it goes away after the 5 weeks... if not idk if i should go see chiro again or do anything like a shot...

• I have to third Ron’s and Grtgrandmas advice! Stay away from Chiropractors! Don’t walk from them but run from them! They look at a plain X-ray and then their common reply is “ your out of alignment “ and then they go to manipulating a area that they truly have no business treating due to not knowing what’s going on with the rest of the area. If pain persist, ask your surgeon or neurologist if they have a stand up MRI, This shows if there is compression while the weight of your upper torso is upright. Good luck and keep us posted.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
advertisement