Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

T-4

Has anyone ever had T-4 syndrome? Any info would be great! 

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,745

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hi Marierintala I tried to talk about t4 syndrome and my doctor  had never heard of it and went so far as to tell me you cannot

Believe everything you read on the internet and yet what I found out  about t4 syndrome fits my back injury. I was hurt 21 years ago and since then I have been reading as much about my injury that I can. Making me think I know more about it  then my doctors do! My doctors do not like it when you know more then they do.  T4 - T8 herniated from getting hit in the back at work. 

4 Hern disk. T4/5 T5/6 T6/7 T7/8
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,528

I can speak to the T4 syndrome.   About 15 years ago, in the middle of the night, I started having heavy chest pains, as if someone was pushing hard on my chest.  I was short of breath, but just figured it would pass.  In the morning, I told my wife about it, she wasnt too happy that I waited.  We went to see our Primary Care physician, who said, just go over to the ER.   We did, I was admitted over night for observations and testing.    A couple of days later, I went for a stress test and everything was fine.

All along, I have been in physical therapy for my lower back and thoracic problems.  I was explaining what happened to my therapist.  She was a women in her 70's, who knew everything you could ever think about in terms of the spine, muscles, tendons and how its all put together or not.   She was one of the first to start using myofascial release therapy, which has always worked great for me.

Back to T4.  She laughed a bit and pressed on the area where my T4 disc would be.  That triggered off the exact same feeling I had that night.  She said, the T4 syndrome, which many times can mimic a heart attack is something many therapist recognize, but not many doctors accept the theory.

Do a search here on T4 Syndrome and you will find posts dated back several years talking about this condition.

iaom-us.com said:

The Thoracic Four Syndrome (T4 syndrome) comprises a set of signs and symptoms that are related to a dysfunction in the upper thoracic spine. It manifests as glove-like paresthesia and temperature changes in one or both hands, sensation of heaviness, swelling and pain in one or both upper extremities, usually associated to thoracic and/or chest wall stiffness, and often presents with generalized headaches.

Thing is, the more I read about the T4 syndrome, the more confused I get.   Different articles state that it is a normal condition with people with thoracic problems, others say it is a rare condition.  I do know for myself , while I had the thoracic problems, the T4 Syndrome was very much part of of me. 

I still have 4 herniated thoracic discs, but never had any surgery.   I suffered for about 4 years with it, having no success with an physical or aqua therapy.   Finally, my physiatrist sent me to a Thai Deep/Soft Tissue massage guru.  He worked on my for 6 months, every week.  It was a very painful experience, but in the end, he was able to break apart my deep rhomboid muscle which had been like a rock, causing extra thoracic problems.  Once, that became pliable, I was able to deal with the discomfort and pain.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences