Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Does it make sense to have surgery now?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello All:

I have a large herniated disc L5-S1. It started in January with severe sciatica. The pain was so excruciating I could barely function. I had to stop working in February because I wasn't able to get through the day. I could not stand more than 5 minutes and couldn't sit at all. I'd been relegated to my bed since Feb up until very recently. I started doing DRX 9000 treatments in April. It was getting me very much better, but the success was limited. Even my chiro said that the machine could not help me any further. He advised that now was the time to seek surgical intervention. This was a huge admission. Chiros typically don't like surgery and this one even more so. He had a family member to actually die from a botched surgery. He'd been telling me for months to do everything I could do avoid surgery.

So I got new MRIs done about two weeks ago. The disc has receded away from the nerve a little, but the herniation is large and it is still touching the sciatic nerve. In the past three weeks I've met with a neurologist twice and met with the neurosurgeon yesterday. They are advising surgery --a microdiscetomy. HERE'S THE KICKER....I NOW FEEL GREAT!! Two weeks ago I made a big leap in my recovery. Each day I've gotten better and better. Today I'm in no pain, I can walk longer distances, can sit normally, and basically function normally. I feel like I can even start working again. The neurosurgeon I met with yesterday explained that the disc has a great likely hood of protruding back into the nerve. I may feel great for weeks but it most likely would happen that the pain will return. He wasn't pushy at all. He was very matter of fact. I'm 33 yrs old. I don't want to keep dealing with going back and forth with pain and disability. Would it make sense to have surgery at this time? I'd appreciate your input. Thanks :)))



  • If it were me in that situation, I'd wait until I was in so much pain again that I couldn't function before I have any surgery.

    Opening the back up is like opening Pandora's box. I went in for a simple surgery one day and that turned into a nightmare.

    If it ain't broke don't fix it. If it has receeded for now, then leave it alone.

    Those are my thoughts.

  • I've been out of work for a year and a half due to sciatica and DDD... It was on and off. They told me chronic pain can do that. Microdiscectomy is a small surgery. Takes maybe an hour and you go home that day. It's worth a try... It can't hurt to take out the disc material that's touching your nerve. If it were a more serious surgery I'd definitely say wait. My sciatica went away for a couple months over the past year and a half, came back strong, went away, came back even worse... If you're not working as of right now, might as well be safe, do it, and then return to work, instead of waiting and having it come back 10 fold and not being able to take the time off.
  • advertisement
  • I had my MD in May, and it worked for a little while... But my problem is the disc is totally shot, it's not just a herniation, so over time the pain just came right back. If they can clear up the material that's in the way, and there is enough disc left, it may help you a lot. A friend of mine had it done at 19, and hasn't had any problems since...
  • Thanks for taking the time to comment. Lo, the more I think about it the more I'm inclined to have the micro-D. I've known folks who have done the back and forth with it like you've done. They've had the procedure with no problem. I know that nothing's 100%, but right now having my life back fully is worth the risk. I wish you the best in your upcoming surgery. The wonderful thing is that you're so young. Why, you're still a baby : ) Your body is strong and resilient and I'm sure you will recover nicely. Best to both you and "C".

  • I know, I know. I am still very much a baby. Lol. I am hoping that will work to my advantage!! Hehe.

    I also wish you the best! I have heard many, many success stories from MDs... Mine didn't work but it's because they didn't know it was DDD until they did my MD and saw how dried out and shot the disc was. If it were just the herniation, I'm sure it would have worked wonders. If you have a pinched nerve, over time it can become damaged if it's not released. I heard this from my Neurosurgeon, the P.A., and my physical therapist.

    I had help for maybe 2 to 3 days after my MD, and then I was fine! I'm sure you'll be back to work in no time, and hopefully with a lot less pain :) One suggestion, though.. You may want to request a couple days worth of muscle relaxers afterwards. Sometimes the nerves go a little haywire from being moved or touched from the surgery... I didn't ask til later on, after I spent the second day in bed crying my eyes out. Soon as I got the muscle relaxers, it totally went away. Keep us updated on how you're doing and what you decide to do :)
  • advertisement
  • Exactly the same thing happened to me before my microD. I was feeling great and I was having rhizotomy done 1 x a year that were doing a great job at controlling the pain. My doc said that the MicroD might make it so that I would not have to do the yearly rhizotomy so I went for it. BIG MISTAKE! I am in much worse pain now then I ever was preop and the microD was in Dec 07. Do not have surgery until there are no other options and you can not tolerate the pain any longer. Who knows how long it will take to start effecting the nerves again? Did you know that after microD or fusion it puts more strain on the discs above and below and makes it more likely that you would be dealing with another herniation? This is all just my opinion. I am not in the medical field or by no means an expert. Good luck and keep us posted with what you decide.
  • You obviously have had your own experience, so I can't say you're wrong. You know your body and what you feel... But micro D doesn't put any extra strain on the surrounding discs, because it's only removing the material that has been protruding... If you have a discectomy and they remove a good portion of it, maybe, but then you'd eventually need a fusion, most likely. If you're just having them clean up the spilled material, then it shouldn't make things worse unless there was a mistake through the surgery! MicroD is a small surgery... Doesn't really alter much at all if it's strictly a microD. I know sometimes they combine them with some other techniques, but if she's got a pinched nerve, it may do more damage to leave it compressed. Once your nerve is damaged, there won't be all that much you can do. I would hate to see that happen to someone :( I do think that fusion is something that should definitely be a last resort... No doubt about that. My doctor said after 10 years, the surrounding discs on average degenerate about 33 percent... Yikes. Sounds like I'm gonna be looking at a few more surgeries in the future! Oh goody. Lol.

    I'm sorry yours turned out terrible :( It's tough when something that is supposed to fix your situation makes you feel worse. That's gotta be disheartening and quite a bit disappointing.
  • I'm going in Tuesday for a Micro D for herniation on L4-5. It's been an ongoing problem for 11 years and wished i'd gotten this done sooner. Additionally, a herniation won't cure itself....you may mask the problem for a while but ultimately it's still there and in my case, the L3-4 and L5/S1 are already showing some good signs of bulging.
  • I've been on both sides of the fence and really if you are feeling OK now, then why not wait and enjoy it while you can. When and if it gets worse, then things can be done but while the going is good I'd keep it going.

    Blessings Sara
  • No matter what you decide for yourself I wish you the best.

    Good Luck,
    Christina :)
Sign In or Register to comment.