Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

For something so banal, I still don't know for sure what's wrong with me

lopsidediivlopsidediiv Posts: 3
edited 08/25/2018 - 2:51 PM in Lower Back Pain

Hello

I am in my mid 20s and have had lower back pain (nothing excruciating, but definitely very, very uncomfortable) since May of this year. It started with leg tightness, which I still have. I had an MRI in June, but that said it's minimal disc protusion L4-L5, no radiculopathy (and yet, leg tightness is 98% constant, I passed the straight leg test). I have seen more than one neurologist, and I recently did an EMG which turned out normal. My newest neurologist diagnosed me with sacroiliitis on my right side, and I'm on a 10 day regime of methylprednisolone. My back starts hurting especially sitting or being on my feet, walking.  I had a blood test too to rule out an autoimmiune disease, which came  back normal. I don't know what to do anymore at this point, if this continues. I didn't injure my back, I didn't lift anything heavy, just for the record. I'm not overweight, I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't do drugs. My most comfortable position is lying down on my sides, when I almost feel normal. Although lying down on my left side makes my leg tightness worse. 

What are your opinions? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. It's the first time I've ever posted here. I literally don't understand what to do or why this is happening. I don't understand how you can experience leg tightness without any nerve impingement or damage to the nerves which the EMG test ruled out. 

Thank you. 

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,658

Hello lopsidediiv

Welcome to Spine Health

There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

All new members should take the System Tutorial

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hey - It's super frustrating.  Hang in there. 

• advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,299
    As Liz pointed out , there are no medical professionals here, so no one can give any medical advice, only personal opinions.

I think it would be helpful if we had some more information. Please read and respond to New Member Guidelines and Checklist

Keep in mind that many times all the diagnostic tests can come back normal, yet a person is still in discomfort and in pain. Some will rush out and say its All in your head! But many times that is true. I've always told people that when all tests are negative, you have had second opinions, the next step would be to see a counselor that deals with pain. It is amazing what stress and emotional situations can do to the body. We have had many members here that did just that and find the root of their problem and worked on fixing it.

I am a big fan of second opinions. I am just going through this now. I am having knee problems, and had both X-rays and MRI done. It was clear that I have a torn meniscus in a couple of places. One doctor also stated that I have a lot of Arthritis on the knee and will be looking at a total knee replacement. That does not surprise me, since I've already had both shoulders and both hips totally replaced because of Osteoarthritis damage. I went for a second opinion, and this doctor does not see a lot of arthritis and feels that a knee replacement is not warranted. So, you have the exact same image, same lab results and findings, but a different set of eyes looking and analyzing them. A big difference!

Just dont give up until you find the cause of your problem. It may take some time, because identifying spinal problems can be very tricky. Doctors have to play detectives at times trying to find the problem. Research and read about your symptoms, there is so much available, BUT do not attempt to do any self diagnosis.. Leave that to the doctors.

The unknown is so hard to deal with. I think once you know what the problem is, it will be easier to deal with it (may be hard) but not knowing to me is worse.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences