Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Persistent Sciatica for 8 months...nothing working :-(

Hi Everyone,

I've had chronic sciatic pain (shooting down left leg from buttocks to foot) for the last 8 months due to disc herniation at L4-L5 and L5-S1 and narrowing of the space, compressing on the exiting L5 nerve.  At least that's what I understand from the recent MRI (more details below).

In the morning, it is crazy painful and I take almost an hour to get out of bed - moaning and crying most of the time.

I've tried everything I can think of short of surgery and steroid injection (read lots of horror stories) and am all out of ideas...it is so depressing.

I am 40 years old, very healthy, lean, exercise regularly, non-smoker, non-drinker, etc. (all the boxes that the Dr.'s want to check off).

Things I've tried that haven't worked to any measurable degree:

- NSAID's
- Gabapentin (from 3 x 100mg, up to 3 x 900mg)
- Stretching
- Strengthening exercises
- Traction/Inversion Table
- Massage therapy
- Physiotherapy
- Hot and cold compresses

Yesterday, I was prescribed Percocet (Oxycodone) and was very optimistic, but it hasn't helped a bit after starting it today.  In fact, it may be feeling even worse :-(

Anyone that can point me in the right direction?

Thank you so much in advance!!

---------

MRI Interpretation

- Moderate DDD at L4-L5 and L5-S1
- Moderate facet arthropathy
- L4-L5 diffuse annular bulge with superimposed left subarticular disc protrusion
- Narrowing of subarticular recesses with compressive effect on traversing L5 roots
- L5-S1 asymmetric annular bulge narrowing the subarticular recess and compressing the right traversing S1 nerve root 

advertisement

Comments

• NatalieBNNatalieB Posts: 1
    edited 08/29/2018 - 12:49 AM

Hello I don’t know if you have ever heard of COX FLEXION DESTRACTION.. research it I did before I made my decision to try it. but it worked for me I too was like you for 8 months I was at my wits end and didn’t wanna do surgery and I came across an article of someone telling about it.. and it really worked for me I have been doing it for 5 wks now it’s a 12 week treatment and I am now pain free, walking normal, sleeping at night. No more sciatica pain what so ever. And I am able to do normal life activities.. I wish you luck and to be pain free and back to normal as I too know what u are going thru.. Good luck and god speed.. 

Warning: Before you try any supplement, herb, over the counter item, exercise program, mechanical aid, brace, etc always consult with your doctor to make sure you get their approval. Some of these products may be very effective, but no two individuals or medical conditions are alike. What works for one, may cause trouble for another..

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,923

There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
    This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test 

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
  • Thanks, but I'm not asking for any medical advice, just others' experience who may have suffered the same thing.  Otherwise, what is the point of these forums?