Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Gabapentin worth a shot?

My burning pain, which my doc thinks is the result of damaged nerves due to bulging discs / prolapse discs is getting unbearable once more. I take ibuprofen and paracetamol.

I did try pregabalin but not nice.

Should I give Gabapentin a try? Will that help with the burning pains?

advertisement

Comments

• Here in the UK we don't pay for meds or tests etc etc. I have had an MRI which showed the disc problems and the squashed nerves. No op needed I was told!

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,260

koolpc

I have been taking Neurotin for some time. It took a while to get the dose just right. At first they had me on too high a dose so I backed off. For me, it helps. As with all of my meds, I take them at the same time every day and not all at once. This way it stays in your system. I still use ice packs also. At times, I have the burning from my hip to my feet. When I do, I do a rolling ice pack. Which means you simply roll the ice pack from top to bottom instead of just laying it in one spot.
    Hope this helps you out.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
  • Hi koolpc
    Sorry to read you are having pain like that with no relief. I have tried that drug three times hoping to get relief but it never worked. Do you trust your doctor if so I would give it a try. Have you discussed your concerns with he or she about taking it? They could possibly make you feel more comfortable with the idea.. One thing you could do is type it in the upper right hand corner that will pull a lot of information of others experiences. 
    Did they give you a plan of what the next step was if not surgery to help you? That's one thing we can do is get a second opinion if we feel it is needed.
    Hopefully you will find some relief soon 
    I wish you the best 
    Sherri PS your dog is adorable !

• Been reading a lot from people who really hate gabapentin. Think I will steer clear of that one. Doc has mentioned it in the past.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,433

There is almost a 50-50 split between people who like Pregabalin (Lyrica) vs Gabepentin (Neurontin).   They both provide the relief of nerve pain.  Personally, I had too many negative effects using Lyrica.   Neurontin did help me, plus there was so much latitude in dosages.   The biggest negative effects from Neurontin I experienced was Weight Gain and Short Term Memory Loss.   But those are basically the same negatives for any nerve medication.

Keep in mind, both of those medications do the same thing.  They work on relieving nerve pain

Lyrica:  It can treat nerve and muscle pain, including fibromyalgia. It can also treat seizures.

Neurontin: Nerve pain medication and anticonvulsant .It can treat seizures and pain caused by shingles.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • Joel1QJJoel1Q Posts: 314
    edited 08/29/2018 - 10:19 PM

Hey koolpc

My wife and I dog sit a big full grown welsh Corgi...so cute to look at your pic from down under.   After my first surgery this year I was not under the best pain control, 10 days out of the hospital in my surgeons office for debilitating pain, I was given Gabepentin and tried taking for two nights but had nightmares bad enough that my wife wanted me to stop taking them before I did.  They also didn’t help my screaming pain at the time but I was told it would take up to two weeks to take effect, I just couldn’t stick with it through the dreams, the first time  

After my second surgery also didn’t resolve the screaming nerve pain, it just changed it, my surgeon highly recommended me revisiting the gabepentin, and by then I was being handed off (I think) to a pain management dr who encouraged me to try gabepentin again when I had trouble managing the pain with the other gaggle of opiates I was on, and he said we couldn’t go up more on opiates as I was at the max, and then I got swept up into the war on opiates, but there is no war on nerve meds.  :|

I did get through a couple nights of shady dreams with help from my wife and now I’m still on the Gab, and very quickly in two weeks went to close to the maximum which I believe is 2700mg/day, but I’m not a dr.     Yes, weight gain and memory loss — schemory loss—what was I saying Bill?—are issues, I’ve gained 20lbs back of the weight I lost to keep the weight off my spine to keep from having spinal pain—ironical?  

For me absolutely knocking me down is I guess major muscle fatigue and overall need to sleep 24/7. Honestly, after two months of zero sleep, i need the rest.  I’ll take it for a little longer, until I catch up on all my sleep by Christmas 2020 then try and wean off  :p

L3-S1 ALIF Feb 2018 and 

L3-S1 PLIF Laminectomy and Fusion March 2018

• I really need something. Plus with my back pain it is getting unbearable. Still waiting to see pain management.

I am still working too. Recently divorced too. Living in a bed sit. Trying to find a place to buy but what if I have to give up work? I don't need a mortgage. I can buy outright.

Hellish times.

I hope you people find comfort and a painless / free life.

• Gabapentin helped me initially when I was really bad (I was mad it took them 3 months to decide to give it to me). A few months ago I started to lower my dosage and get off of it all together  (I actually found I felt better not taking it but really needed it initially). I will say when it was time to go off of it I had massive headaches for a few days each time I lowered my dosage and when I was done all together it was almost unbearable but I still think it would have been much worse without it.

• I did try pregabalin but hated it. Plus coming off it wasn't nice. I wish they could kill off the nerves causing the burning!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,433

koolpc,  you dont want that to happen.....  Nerve pain takes a LONG TIME to heal, and for some, depending on how bad the nerve pain was , how long it was damaged before surgery, etc, the eventual outcome can vary.

I waited too long to have one of my lumbar surgeries, after we knew that L4/L5 was impinging on a nerve root.  That would have been my 3rd lumbar surgery and we just figured to wait it out, even against the recommendations from the doctor.   As a result, I have a number of dead nerves in my right leg, from the knee down into the foot.  Half of my right foot does not have any working nerves, that along with severe arthritis in the foot, I have a permanent drop foot.

My nerve pain is good from that knee down, its just the rest of my spine and nerves that are I am still battling with.   I sort of gave up on the nerve medication route.  While it did help, it never really took away the nerve pain.   Plus the negative side effects became too much to deal with , especially weighing out what the benefits were.

I wish someone would come up with a medication or process to eliminate the nerve pain.   So many times, we all read here about members who are doing pretty good after surgery, except for the nerve pain.   While opioids are not specifically for nerve pain, they do reduce any pain associated with nerves.   But you never want to be on opioids just to minimize the nerve pain.

I have researched and researched.   Many of you know about my discussion on about  The Blend.  Even with all those various modules to help manage pain, none of them really do a great job.  The best I have found was a combination of relaxation techniques, aroma therapy and mediation.  But honestly, my brain always has problems with keeping up with any sort of meditation.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
advertisement