Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Do I need surgery for my L4 L5 Herniated Discs? Workers Comp and Personal Injury.

I have been diagnosed with a L4 L5 Herniated disc from a car accident I was involved with. I am currently in a workers compensation and personal injury settlement process, and was told by my doctor that I need to have an L4, L5 dissectomy, as an MRI was done. 

I am 23 years old, 5'11, and just had shoulder surgery for it. I went to two other doctors and they also said to have surgery. I know this surgery will greatly help my settlement, but I do not want to go into this recklessly. 

I would not be paying anything, and I already went through physical therapy, chiropractor, and injections, both regular and to burn the nerve, but I still feel the pain. I mostly feel it when I am laying down or sitting up, but sometimes I feel it on my sides as well. If I stick my left leg out straight while sitting, I feel it go down my leg a bit. 

What do you guys/girls think?

advertisement

Comments

• Huayra the problem with going down the surgery path at such a young age is the probability of needing more surgeries in the future. Natural degeneration of the discs which is a normal process will take its toll on the now more fragile area of the discs your having your surgery on. Nobody wants to be in pain and I wouldn't fault you a bit for having the surgery I would definitely do the research just to make sure you cover all bases on what this means for future problems. If you go ahead with the surgery the best advice I can give is to make sure you give the discs every opportunity to heal right its very easy to become complacent when you start to feel better. If you don't heal right it can cause grave consequences for your future so please when you start getting better stop and think about what your doing just remember it takes a full year to fully heal. Gl

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,419

There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
    This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test 

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • Do you have both a worker’s comp. attorney and a personal injury attorney?

You already have two opinions saying yes. If I were you I’d get a third. 

• I do have a workers comp and personal injury attorney (both from same firm). 

The doctor I spoke with today said that the surgeon noted that he would not do anything to the disc themselves but just clean up debris around it and prevent the nerve from being irritated. 

I was told it would only take about a 3-5 months to fully heal since it is not a full on fusion, etc. 

The doctors / surgeon which work with my case also has excellent reviews on all websites. 

advertisement