Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Does my Injury sound like ankylosing spondylitis or a herniated disc?

Hello, I have been suffering with bad pain and it is even worse when i move my back or sneeze in my lower back, buttocks, hips and my right thigh for 2 months now and I very rarely get sharp tingling shooting pain through my whole leg as it has only happened to me twice in the 8 weeks whilst standing up. The pain seems to get worse when i sit down for a while or i stand for a while as well. It also hurts more at night and in the morning when i get up. I have seen a physio and Doctor, the Physio thinks i have injured my lumber spine and there is some nerve damage and the doctor wants to do some tests for ankylosing spondylitis as he says it is unlikely a herniated disc as i am only 18 and it could be linked to my other illness which is Chrons disease. I have been lifting weights including deadlifitng for just under a year now and in the last several months i had been getting very mild back pain but didn't think much of it. Then one day which is about just over 8 weeks ago i noticed it got worse so i stopped lifting the weights. When i went to the physio i got given some stretches to do which kind of helped a little bit and i was discharged but the pain has occurred again. I just thought i would post this and get some opinions from people, the only thing i can really do now is just do these tests and see what it is but i am worried that it could be ankylosing spondylitis.

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,726

hello bigpoppa7300

welcome to spine health

there are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice. to get an diagnosis i would take your doctor's advice and have the tests offered to you.

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • pennie92pennie92 KentuckyPosts: 21

Hello , if you have injured your spine....then it would not be ankylosing Spondylitis.....I think maybe they will check to see if you have spondylolisthesis......which can be diagnosed with standing flexion and extension X-rays...where you stand and bend forward and then bend backwards.....to be diagnosed.....if the doctor hasn't ordered X-rays yet...get a second opinion.....go see an orthopedic surgeon that specializes in the spine.....

• advertisement