Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

End of Aug. or September Surgeries!!! Who has an up coming surgery?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey everyone,

I thought that I would start this thread for all those who have an upcoming surgery! Big Hugs for all
((((( >:D< )))))

I will be having a two level ACDF of C 4-5 and C 5-6.

This will be my second neck surgery. The first was a Posterior cervical Foraminotomy at C 3-4 and 4-5.
I was always told I need the fusion and now the date has been set finally. I am a bit anxious. I wish the day was already here.

I will have my mom here after surgery so I wont be alone. I am not married and have no kids so it is only me to take care of me after Mom leaves. i have some friends lined up for extra help and some neighbors that are available and home during the day.

SO for all those with an up coming suregery of any kind I have started this thread to let you all know that we are not alone.
I say thank you all in advance for the support in the up coming days!

For all those with upcoming surgeries...I will say some prayers for you and keep you in my heart and in my thoughts...
Waiting is the hard part!! :W
Good Luck to all!! :H

Chrissy
advertisement

Comments

• Sending well wishes and prayers your way sugar....glad to know that you will have some help there with you , that is great..... :)))

So good luck to all with upcoming surgery and many gentle hugs and prayers sent your way... >:D<
  • Sept 15 am having my first spine surgery.
    I have spinal stenosis.Plan is for hemi laminectimy,facetectomy and laminotomies .Level L4 and L5 lumbar spine.
    Scheduled to be in hospital one day....does anyone think this a resonable time to be in hosp.Or should it be longer?
    I am worried about pain control post op.
    Presently take a low dose opiate derivative about every 2nd day.Otherwise on Tylenol regularly...

Thanks for your advice!

• advertisement
  • One day should be more than enough. I know someone who went home that day.... I don't think you should be worried about pain control. If you only take a low dose opiate every other day or even once or twice a day, you should be fine with taking maybe 2 pills every few hours for a week or so! Good luck with your surgery!
  • Micro-D L4-5 on Tuesday...first spine surgery and hopefully the last.
  • I had my ACDF surgery on levels c5/c6 and c6/c7 and a pinched nerve at c6/c7 The end of March this year. I thought everything was healing great, but my shoulder pain continued. Finally after telling my NS over and over about the pain still coming from the shoulder, he sent me over to a OS. Did x-rays, MRI and bingo! I had also injuried my rotator cuff :SS . I am now set to have surgery on the rotator cuff Thursday the 28th. I only had 1 surgery in my life before, now 2 in a year :S. Please say a little prayer for me, this will be the last one.
    JustMe
  • advertisement
  • Im having A fusion in a few weeks on my C6 vert (not sure if he is goign C5/6 or C6/7). My first ever, A tad scared, but my mums going to be there afterwards too.
  • Hi all

I did a previous post under fusion being re done in sept.
    Thanks for starting this one. Great to have them all in 1 spot. >:D<
    My date is Sept 17th. Everything taken out from PLIF of L5 and S1 on Sept 9th 2007 and all new put back in this time with L4 thrown in. I did not fuse. It happens sometimes.
    Plus I have alot of pain in my hips to my ankles when I walk which I can only do now for 2 minutes or less.
    If this is NOT the issue then its either 1. T1 disk severe compression w/ mild cord compression OR 2. Aortic calcification w/ poor circulation.

So hey lets give it a shot and see what happens :D

I should still only be in the 4 days. The norm.
    Any questions from others I will be more then happy to try to answer. PM me or write here and I can give you my personal experience. :/

I am not nervous as I know what to expect. Just sick of OR's, and being cut open every year for something or another.

I want a gold plaque w/ my name and own room I deserve it image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" />

GOOD LUCK TO ALL. Please all keep postive thoughts, do not get yourself all nerved up. Easier said then done as I did this before.

Love you all
    Terri >:D< =((
  • Hi Folks,
    My surgery is coming up on September 17th. I am scared to death. Haven't been in the hospital in 26 years since my second child was born. I've had back problems for better then 30 years and lived with it and neck problems for the last 8 years but in March of this year the neck got much worse and surgery became important rather then a choice. Looks like I will be having 3 discs fused (there is another damaged one below where the fusion will be but doc felt was not bad and would be ok not to include in the fusion). The surgery will be anterier and the graft will be cadaver bone from the bone bank. The docter suggested I use a bone stimulator after the surgery and I agreed (anyone used one of these things). I'll be coming home to a house of men (husband, 2 grown sons) so I am hoping to be able to do stuff for myself. Turned my sister down on coming to help and now she could not get off work if I wanted her. Did I make a mistake?

LJ

C3/4 large right lateral disc/osteophyte complex effaces right ventral aspects of the subarachnoid space and effaces the right ventral aspect of the spinal cord, contributing to focal contour defect of the spinal cord, spinal canal stenosis, foraminal compromise. etc etc. C6/7 disc/osteophyte complex indents upon the ventral aspects of the subarachnoid space and mildly indents the ventral aspect of the spinal cord, stenosis and foraminal encroachment etc, etc, C6/7 disc.osteophyte complex indents upon the ventral aspects of the subarachnoild space, stenosis without foraminal compromise..... I have Degenerate Disc Disease also (seems most of us do)suggested surgery fuse C3/4, 4/5, 5/6. Doctor is talking about leaving C6/7 as is. Also herniated disc and bulging discs at last lumber MRI (but that was over 20 years ago). The back I live with although my current neck problems seem to make my back worse. I find that I can't stand still for any extended time without serious back pain. Neck/shoulder/arm/hand pain makes sleeping difficult. Still working full time.

• Hey Everyone,
    Thanks for responding to this thread!

I know surgery is scarey stuff. I am no stranger to Surgery myself and I certainly hope that after this one I will be able to go some years or mabey never have another one!!! :D

Storm Trooper--- I will be sending out some prayers and good thoughts for you tomorrow. All the best for a good surgery and speedy recovery!! Aug 26

JustMe---I know your getting ready for that rotator cuff surgery and we have been discussing this one for a bit! I will be praying for you as well!! Aug 28

Vertgirl---what is your surgery date? Do you know yet?? This being your first surgery must be very scarey for you so please search the archives for more information. I know many people on the boards have been there with the fusions so we are all here to help!

TerriJV---Are you the same Terri that recently had a wrist surgery?? We have talked and supported eachother before. I feel the same way about surgery and OR's...this ACDF will be surgery # 8 for me in 4 years and a few months, URGH!!! Not all neck surgeries but surgery all the same. I hope this will be it for a while or for ever!!
    Sept. 17th

LJ---I have some other discs that did show pain and tearing with the bulging during the discogram that the Ortho Spine Surgeon decided not to include in this operation. It concerns me too that they will cause problem soon aftter the fusion and we will end up back in the OR. So we will just have to wait and see what happens! Sept 17th

Well so far I think that covers everyone and If i have missed you please feel free to let me know. If I have gotten your surgery date wrong please let me know And i will go back and put the right date in.

The cool thing is that we are not alone and we have eachother to chat with and discuss our fears and experiences.

Please feel free to post to me here or PM or even e-mail me for any added support.

I hope that others will post their dates!!

Best of luck to all!
    ((((((( >:D< )))))))

Chrissy
  • I am 4 days post op from my 2nd spinal fusion. This time around things went a bit smoother than the first time, and I was able to come home 2 days after surgery. I knew what to expect this time around, and mentally that helped...some. I refused to let myself get worked up about it, because I knew my children would pick up on it, and they were worried enough already about me being in the hospital. I am able to get around with a cane, my insurance wouldn't approve a walker for me. With my children starting school today, I will be able to relax and do alot of nothing during the day lol. Good luck to the rest of ya's!!!!
advertisement