Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot

In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Occipitocervical fixation and my new "normal"

I am hoping to be able to talk to someone who has had  Occipitocervical fixation surgery. I had my surgery from my head to T2 in July 2016. I still miss moving my neck terribly. People forget your limitations after this surgery. It would be easier to deal with it if I didn't have my entire lumbar fused too. That prevents me from aching and looking up. I do drive and use my mirrors to back up just as I did before my surgery for 15 years due to stiff neck.

Some days it's almost as if I am waiting to die. I have heart trouble, COPD, overweight since I am no longer working.  I was thinking n anti depressants before my surgery and have had to bump up the dosage. The daily muscle tension in my neck is very annoying. Not to mention painful.

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,562

Waiting to die are some very <strong> strong words </strong> Have your doctors identified your problem as being this serious?

No question, that heart problems (what kind do you have) and COPD (what stage of COPD are you in) and overweight adds to the daily discomfort.

With your cervical area totally fused, that would cause a lack of range of motion.   How long did you work with physical therapy after that surgery.  I know that there is a time table where, specific stretches and exercises can work on improving your range of motion.  After the time period, its almost as if you are locked into that new range.  Same holds true with scar tissue, you may have only 6 months to a year to do all the things you need to do to keep the scar tissue from becoming a bigger problem.

So, right now, what type of medical professional treatment and care are you having?

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences