Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

doc says he may not be able to help

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:22 AM in Lower Back Pain
my body is 60 yrs. old and i have been diagnosed with lower spinal stenosis with inflammation to L3 and L5. i've been in treatment for months. started with standard cortisone injections into effected areas. did not get long enough benefit from them so he has twice now put me under and x-ray machine so that he can better pinpoint the injections. that last time i saw him he described my L5 space as "horrible" and called it arthritis. he only did the last injections because i pleaded. basically he is saying that he doubt that anything can be done based on the mediocre results i've had from injections. this man has an excellent reputation so i don't doubt what he has to say.

i am wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience. i really don't want to have to live with this painful disability! any advice or sharing will be greatly appreciated.

:( catsup


  • How come he didnt recommend getting a radiofrequency RHIZOTOMY? That is supposed to help with the arthritis. I am getting one of those in Sept. It is where they kind of zap the nerves that go to the facet joints that are arthritic.
  • His experience and qualifications are a bit limited. Can you get a referral to a neurosurgeon or ortho?

    PS. Welcome to Spine Health
  • advertisement
  • well i don't know why he has not mentioned any other options. perhaps when he said that he might not be able to help me, he was indeed thinking of a referral to some specialist who can. for now, because i asked him to, he injected me again with the help of an xray machine. i guess i won't be surprised if next visit he offers the referral.

    i am totally unfamiliar with the procedures you mention.

    thanks, catsup

  • ok i have quickly researched Rhizotomy. sounds good to me.

    now, if the rhizotomy helps and i can become active again, how can i tell which activities are causing further injury to the spine?

    thanks, catsup
  • just enjoy the relief! I have facet arthropathy also and the rhizotomy is the best pain relief results that I have EVER had and I have been through alot. Not all docs offer this procedure but now that you are informed, you can certainly ask to be sent to someone who does. You will not get immediate results from it as it takes about a month for the nerves to die. The good part is that it takes them about 1 year to regenerate so your relief lasts quite a long time. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.
  • advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.