Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Discogram

hi! This is my first post, although I have read too many to count. I’m 38 female. I had a discogram procedure yesterday on 3 levels, L3,4,5. Prior to the procedure I had read horror stories. The sugeron and his team were wonderful. I was given Fentanyl and Versed during and following the procedure. So my memory is fuzzy, but I do recall pain, as well as, tingling and numbness down my right leg. I have been in quite a bit of pain since the procedure, which I would assume is normal. I will receive the results from my Neurosurgeon on a Thursday. 

I’ve read about “positive and negative” discograms. While I’m not looking for diagnosis, I would love to hear others experience. What did you remember from the procedure? They performed a CT following the discogram. Is it possible to have a positive discogram without excruciating pain during the procedure? 

If you had a discogram, what were next steps that you faced? Thanks in advance!

advertisement

Comments

• I’m glad that they’ve gotten away from the barbaric tough-it-out mentality from 9 years ago when I had one done.  After a traditional X-ray and mri, it was shown where I did not have any disc left at the L4-L5 level.  My ortho surgeon wanted confirmation of that before doing a fusion, so he wanted me to have a discogram.

well, nothing was given to me beforehand or during...they injected the dye in my different levels...just felt a lot of uncomfortable pressure during those injections.  Then, when he injected into my L4-L5 level, I felt pain like I had easily never felt before...EVER...the dye just flooded out, so I guess he got his answer.  I had water coming out of my eyes and almost came off the table...he was yelling at me that I had to stay still...I could have knocked the hell out of him...before injecting any areas, he said that I would feel only pressure for okay discs and “my usual pain”  if it was bad...but that pain was way more than what I had ever had...I remember him telling his assistant to “give him a quarter of morphine”...that shot did absolutely nothing...was wheeled into a recovery room for awhile before going home.  I did not have any tests afterwards...I had really high pain for 4-5 days afterwards and could not bend completely upright for a week...just brutal

I do know that I will never go through that again no matter what..but I did have a fusion in that area

don’t quote me, but I think that I have read where a disc could be damaged but really no extra pain during a disco gram, but don’t quote me on that...you should discuss your concerns with the doctor

good luck in getting your issue(s) taken care of!

• How do you pronounce discogram?

Dis-co-gram?

• advertisement