Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

My scoliosis -part 4

advertisement

Comments

• Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 330

I appreciate the flippant comments! :) My scoliosis is very mild compared to you folks and my surgeon straightened it a bit in my last fusion surgery June 2018 - funny no one mentioned the scoliosis or that they were going to attempt to straighten it a bit during surgery until afterwards when they were trying to explain why I was in so much pain. Your attitudes are encouraging so thanks!

• Kathy:

Have you tried sitting back in a chair with the lumbar support and neck support pillows and relaxing your body while you type? You have to think Stephen Hawking a little bit...because it's like a forced relaxation pose which you normally don't do at a computer. Honestly, I don't know how you can do lab work at all. I had to buy a special device (like a durable medical equipment thingy!) just to hold my recipe books because I can't look down for long. You must ache after a couple of hours....Anyway these cushions I bought really do help when I'm at the computer a lot.

N

• advertisement
  • Kathy I hate putting my left sock on. It always catches on my left big toe and flies across the room. Funny but annoying.

• So I have what I believe is SI joint pain. I had it pre-surgery and now it's worse. How bad is the pelvic fixation procedure!

Also, do any of you have a spinal cord stimulator or pain pump?

• ok thanks for shareing..that explains a lot. I will run up and look if I have a normal curve to my lower back now..if they gave me one that would explain why I think my pelvis is tilted forwards now and why my stomack sticks out with one bit of anything. maybe they just put too much of that natural curve in. I think its so sad we all have to learn about all this stuff here..doctors should be explaining this to us. but now I thank God that I have all of you to help me learn what was done to me and what to expect..along with a few tips on how to over come it..thanks to all of you..hang in there..we will get through this together!!!! and yes urbmshr  my name is robyn...love my Y..its dirfrrnt just like me...lol

• advertisement
  • Robyn - you love your y - funny because I am actually Sandi with an "I". That was radical back when my mom gave me that spelling

10 level fusion T9 - S1 with pelvic fixation. Two titanium rods, 24 screws, 4 cages.

Firm believer in PMA

• lol..i love it were both tren setters...lol I see more and more with the I and on my side with the y

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,463

nope no pain pump or spine stimulator here.....YES they gave me more of a lordosis as well in my lower back.....which completely tipped my pelvis forward....i went into surgery pretty much flat back because of the facet disintegration (the only way i could stand up was leaning forward to take the stress off the facets-and forget about sneezing!)....so now everything is in a different place.  i had SI pain for the first 8-9 months i would guess.....now my biggest issue with the pelvic screws is the angle of the heads and the location is completely exactly at the level that i would lean against a counter!  talk about annoying. LOL.  and i can certainly feel the screw heads under the muscles when i lean against them-and once again to prove i am a slow learner i do that at least twice a week. 

i have an awesome chair at work with the lumbar support and a high back so i can rest my shoulders back.....but i might try a pillow behind my head...because i still have to hold my head up.  sheesh i sound like such a wuss saying "have to hold my head up".  ha ha.  i swear though after a full day of stuff i'm still tired!!!!!  and i'm now 23 months post surgery pretty much.  argh!  we were gleaning the corn field this weekend and i got to drive the atv because i cannot possibly walk across 100 acres 50 times....but i thought, sheesh, all this chance at good exercise....i'm wasting it, so i did one walk across and then told my hubby i needed the atv back.  it was TOUGH.  soft dirt, and corn stubble....and yesterday we cleaned out the barn again-15 pens of shavings and litter, water etc....and i'm actually still in one piece today i think.  that's a first to not feel totally broken.  but of course with the time change i couldn't sleep.  lovely time change...now with a farm instead of up at 530, we're wide awake at 430.  yay.  awesome.

well urbmshr, xrobynx-i'm kathryn spelled the "wrong way"....lol.  i get everything from katherine to katherine to catheryn to katheryn....everything BUT....which is why i went with kathy, it's just easier.  LOL.  and if i were to try kathi....well.....yeah, no.....ha ha 

hope everyone is doing well today!!!!

Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,463

hi everyone,  today is my 2 year anniversary of surgery.  at this point 2 years ago i was in the OR....and had been for 3 hours already.  and wouldn't be back to my room until tomorrow.  yikes.  i don't really want to think about what the next 48 hours brought back then....but i'm super happy i'm on this side of the surgery now!

so at 2 years.  i still have problems sleeping through the night.  i still have rib pain.  i still have difficulty tying my shoes and putting on my left sock.  but it's nowhere near the problems i had before!  i'm still having nerves waking up with all the zapping and zinging that goes with that. in fact my right hip, and everything inside along all the bones of my hip, pelvis and lower back into my thigh woke up 2 days ago with the most insane feeling ever, like someone pouring cold water down the bone INSIDE....it felt super weird, and now it's all awake and i am actually standing up straighter because i can actually use my iliopsoas muscle again!  (it's sore...sigh).  i still have foot drop on the left, and a slight limp when i walk.  and still have times that i just have to go and lie down because i'm sore and wiped out.  but on the whole, wow, way better than the few weeks leading up to surgery.  i vividly remember how scared and brave i was trying to be going into the ER.  i was terrified.  and the recovery....well....wow.  i can honestly say i am a changed person-physically but also emotionally.  i have lost my tolerance for pettiness and attitudes....i think my patience wore out LOL.  but i also look out for me more now, which still feels odd in a way.  still learning to be nice to my body (the screws remind me when i have lapses).  struggling with knee and hip pain too because of the rearrangement of the rest of the body....but i wouldn't change it for the world now....doing great.   now the conversations have turned to the "what do we want to do before I cannot do it" with me and my hubby-should i be taking the time now to do things that in 10 years may not be possible.  like a second lease on life.  but i also know that even going to germany for 2 weeks took about a month to recover, so do i want to push it now and spend the time recovering, or wait a bit longer and see if things get a bit better.  also, thinking about my career....I think realistically i may not make it to retirement age working full time, it's still exhausting to do a full week, and any change upwards up the ladder here means more time and energy invested.  so looking at a career change into a less stressful position.....whatever that may be.  it really does change things.  but it will all work out with time i know. 

anyways, 2 year anniversary for me! 

Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• grates on making 2 years my 2 yr date was the 14th,. my rib pain is comeing back too now but I think it is because of the cain. I hope to get back to the pool after X-Mass is over and also start out paitent PT for set back I suffered with the GB.. any ways grates, and just think, you will still see some inprovemts..belive it or not you not done healling

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.