Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

My scoliosis -part 4

advertisement

Comments

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,433

i have my 2 year followup in late january (so i guess really a 25 month followup)....have to start thinking about what i need to ask.  i know the first is this rib pain, the second is the pain around the top of my bars and what to do about the spasticity i'm having (where muscles cannot relax because of nerve damage), and i also want to ask about what he thinks the future holds, but somehow i know that there's no answer for that because it's contingent on too many variables that could change at the drop of a hat.  But for now, 1 more day of work before the holidays start!

Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• I have a little muscle spasticity where they just don't relax this season.  I notice it if I am cold and on the verge of shivering.  I like being on the cold side though, don't really like to run the furnace.  So I put on a big comfy sweatshirt and all settles down.  Never had that before my fusion and actually I don't remember having it before this year but I am sure it is related to all the action my back muscles have seen in the past couple years.  No pain though so for that I am thankful.

10 level fusion T9 - S1 with pelvic fixation. Two titanium rods, 24 screws, 4 cages.

Firm believer in PMA

• advertisement

urbmshr i'm so glad you are doing well!  i do find that if i let the cold get into my bones i'm done for - even a warm bath doesn't warm me up again for some time.  so i'm trying to be super careful with getting cold (or too hot too).  i have found my heating pad does really help when things don't want to relax.  but i have to be careful not to set off a hot flash.  sheesh.  i do need to get back in the pool....alas today we are rebuilding the hydraulics in the tractor-i should say, my hubby and the radio are rebuilding the hydraulics and i'm helping hold things as needed.....LOL

i also found out that when one is painting with a roller one must be careful not to twist....um.  well, the office is now painted!  getting there.  only about 1/2 the house left to do.  very glad to be on holidays though. with less working with my arms out in front of my at my lab bench my back and rib pain is a whole lot less!  and i'll take it!

got a letter in the mail today that my 2 year followup (that should have been last week) has been rescheduled again for February.  i guess if i'm not having any problems it's all okay. i expect this one to be rescheduled at least 4 times like the last one was too.  it's all good.  and i must make myself another massage appointment.....

Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

well, 2 year followup was this morning.  they are very happy with how i'm doing.  they are also going to arrange for trigger point injections for the rib pain that is being obnoxious.  my autonomic system seems to have settled down a bit too, which is super super nice.  but i was told no horse back riding ever again.  and no running.  and no lifting heavy things off the ground, i can lift whatever i want as long as i do not have to bend over too far and if it's not at the level of my feet.  lol.  so i can unload feed bags from the truck because that's at waist height....and if it hurts the next day don't do it.  and to back off on my walking on the treadmill and maybe swim more.  everything is where they left it, and all the screws and cages haven't moved at all, which is awesome.  i have some L2 and L4 nerve damage still, and a couple super weak muscles, but continuing the physio exercises should help those.  and the numb patches in my skin may or may not be permanent....lol.  they don't know.  back in a year! 

Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator

• YAY!! Happy, happy, happy for you.  I remember at my 2 year appt they said the same thing - 'everything is where we left it'.  I was like 'what'?!?!  Where else would it be?  Curious as to why they said to back off walking on the treadmill.  How much are/were you walking?

10 level fusion T9 - S1 with pelvic fixation. Two titanium rods, 24 screws, 4 cages.

Firm believer in PMA

• advertisement

I was doing 20-25 miles a week on the treadmill....but i'm also swimming and doing a lot of farm work, so i think he favors the swimming over the walking and i can't stop doing the farm stuff (animals do need feeding) so for the sake of doing too much to my body to drop some of the walking....my body is super tired by the end of a week, and i thought it was because of working and running a farm and stuff, but he thinks i'm just overdoing so to try doing less instead for a while and see if that helps.

Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator

• grats I am so happy for you, sounds like your doing all the right things. my doctor talked about the injection for rib pain but I was able to get mine under control. I did not have  xrays done for my last visit so I did not hear the right where we left it speech you all got...lol yes with you working full time and all the fram work, I can see how you might be over doing it a bit. and I belive strongly that the swimming has helped me the most so not surprised he wants you to do  more of that over walking witch is pounding the ground and vibrateing the spine. so he said you still have healing to do? I think they need to change the 1 year for recovery to ..2 to 3 cuz that's more closly to the truth. keep up the good work.

yep, more healing to do.....up to 5 years!  and he also said they will likely follow me for 5 years, sometimes they follow the long fusion patients for 10 years depending on the circumstances.   yep i totally agree....long fusions aren't a 1 year recovery.  they're a multi-year recovery!!!!

Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator

• Hi WLLady, I am new here and have read your story with interest.  My 14yo daughter has scoliosis and is having a fusion of T2 thru T12 in April.  Is that considered a long fusion? 

Thanks,

Mary

advertisement