Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Management of morning lower back pain stiffness

I am a 56 year old male experiencing lower back pain mainly in the morning. The lower back can be very stiff for the first hour or so in the morning. Sometimes hard to put on socks or tie shoes. After it "loosens up", I am fine. I have an active lifestyle and work out my core muscles twice a week and play sports regularly. The stiffness and some pain doesn't significantly affect my lifestyle, unless I try to be active early in the morning. It only started about the last 6 months or so. I'm wondering if this is just a common form of back arthritis and common for folks as they age. If so, wondering if I should try some heating pads as I sleep or first thing in morning? I have tried taking Alleve or Advil at night going to bed and it doesn't seem to help much. Would be grateful for any advice on how to manage this issue. Thank you.

advertisement

Comments

• Morning is the rough point in time in any person's day who deals with back pain.

Perhaps try getting up an hour earlier, take a hot shower and then do some stretches. That way you're making time to heal before you attempt things like putting on your socks (I know the struggle in that can be more than most care to admit)?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,249

No question as we get older, our bodies need a bit more tweaking before they really start to work normally.   As long as these are your only current symptoms, the next time you visit your primary care physician, I would discuss this with him to see if there are specific types of exercises that are good for people after reaching those Golden years!

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,047

becranfill

Please click on the Welcome link below and Tutorial for more information to get you started on the forum.
    Welcome to Spine Health

I agree, the next time you see your doctor, discuss this with him to make sure there is not an underlying problem. A heating pad may help but I would not recommend sleeping on one all night. I do my stretches and exercises under a hot shower. So, good idea, try that in the mornings.

Take care and let us know how you are doing.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Hello, a few things that have helped me. Do these before getting out of bed (pref in order): take a NSAID with water, use a heating pad for 10 mins while laying in bed (this will loosen up the muscles for the next step).  Next, do some stretches (knee to chest, both knees to chest, bend knee and grab ankle and try to pull towards face while straightening the leg, bend left knee and put right ankle on that knee and try to pull bent knee to chest (great for hip flexors but very hard for me to do, do the other leg also).  

advertisement