Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Looking for answers

bigdaddy04bbigdaddy04 Posts: 1
edited 09/30/2018 - 5:09 PM in Lower Back Pain

Hello everyone my name is Ken iam 49  I have been doing MRIs of my lower back since 2009 they told me then I had degenerative  disc disease ,  I had pains going down my right leg for about two years  could not take anymore I started getting steroid root nerve block  injections  on my right side for the L4 and L5 at first the pain went away for about 3  then came back again  i’d always have more shots done   I’ve been driving 18 winners for 18 years I started work at this company in 2015  I did another MRI because my back was hurting again  it was just the L4 and L5 disc bulging out little bit more so no big deal in 2016 my  lower left side started hurting I thought it was just a pulled muscle did not think nothing of it I know that the seat in my truck was pushing up against the left side of my hip I get back to my story so in July 2018  I was at work and my back felt like it re-injured my L4 and L5 so on July 30 I did another MRI and it showed my S1 was collapsing to the left a little bit  with a bulging disc out the front and out the backside of coarse touching the nerves  I went and saw a surgeon he told me that i will need a infusion  for the S1-L5   So as you can imagine  when I saw the plastic skeleton with these titanium rods I flipped out and said I don’t want to look like a damn robot so  I’ve been pretty scared the last two months   Looking for answers went and talked to another surgeon for a second opinion but of course it’s in the  community second doctor told me the same thing I asked why can I not have the disc replacement he told me because I have a lot of  arthritis in that area and it wouldn’t be worth it I’m not understanding why  And don’t know if I can get back into being a truck driver again I’m scared about the pain afterwords I’m scared how my life is going to be days weeks months afterwards even a year will I ever be able to do some of the things I do now even though I’m in a little bit of pain  I have not taken any kind of prescription medication I’ve only been doing natural herbal supplements they been working OK but   Every day is different with the pain  I have been reading peoples testimonies Summerhill for some scary I’m just looking for answers to help me figure out what to do I’m thinking about going outside  taking my MRI from 2015 and the MRI for 2018 and And see what this third doctor will say I just don’t want to believe that a fusion is the only thing left to do I welcome all comments to help me out thank you

Edited by Sandra to remove name of Foundation.

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,065

Hi bigdaddy04!
    Please click on the Welcome link below and Tutorial for more information on the forum.
    Welcome to Spine Health

I understand about your back and your job. My husband drove a big rig for 14 years, very hard on your back and kidneys.
    Have you researched a fusion verses a disc replacement? Having that knowledge would help when you talk to a surgeon. You can make a list of questions and concerns. Below are some articles for you to read, maybe it will help.

I had surgery from L2-S1, rods, screws and bone graft. And I'm not young lol. But 6 weeks after surgery I was fine, no pain, back to living my life. Surgery is a big decision for anyone. But putting it off could cause more damage than you already have. If you are still struggling with this, I would get a third opinion.

Take care and please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Ken-best to arm yourself with as much knowledge about your diagnosis, treatment options, and weigh all pros and cons.  Your hopes of a Sandra like success of course depends on your surgeon to some degree, but mostly falls to you in your preparation and follow through on your recovery...definitely read the links she’s given you and everything else you can to make an informed decision and good luck, there are lots of experienced people here who will help as much as they can. 

L3-S1 ALIF Feb 2018 and 

L3-S1 PLIF Laminectomy and Fusion March 2018

• advertisement