Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Feeling “hardware” when lying down

Hi, I’m a little over 4 months post-op. I had T4 to pelvic fusion on May 21, 2018. I’m healing and coming along slowly, however, I’m having such a problem sleeping. When I lay down, I feel as if I’m lying on logs or railroad tracks. It’s horrible, and I  have to stay awake until I’m so tired, usually going to bed like2-3am or later. I  also have to take Advils, 2 melatonins, and a baclofen 5mg, 15 mins before getting into bed..

Does anyone else experience this? If so, any tips on sleeping, or how long before you don’t feel these los under your back??  I’m considering getting a tempurpedic mattress topper. 

Sammy 

advertisement

Comments

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,489

hi sammytb

not sure if anyone said welcome yet to you!  welcome to the forum!!!! welcome to spine health

all new members should take the system tutorial

sleeping is such an issue after these surgeries!  can you maybe sleep on your side?  i can still feel the bars on my right side, and i'm almost 2 years post surgery, but the muscles are healing enough that i think it just bothers me less than it did before.  as for mattress choice, really honestly, try them out, lay down on each and every one.  you will find the one that works for you!  i still am up at least twice in a night, just to move, get the aches and "stiffness" out that seems to get my muscles angry...melatonin does great to get me to sleep, but nothing for staying asleep unfortunately.  i found my best remedy so far working with my doctor is 10mg baclofen 2 hours before bed....because the baclofen was actually hyping me up for the first 2 hours (go figure).  but yes, sleeping is a long drawn out process.  a big change for me happened about 2 months after my surgery, and then again about 9 months after surgery.  it does get easier....
    for me sleeping on my side with a body pillow against my back really helped, leaning back just a little bit....
    hope you can find a mattress and position that helps you!  i'm sure other people here will also chip in their experience, we talk about this a lot....lol

Kathy
    Veritas-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• Hi, yes I was welcomed when I made my first post a few months ago. Sorry I should’ve stated that I am a 58 year old female. 

Wow 2 years and you can still feel the bars, oh boy....I have never been able to sleep on my side, however I am learning to now. Others people have also recommended a body pillow. Will try the  Mattress toppers and see. Thanks at least I know it’s not my imagination.

• advertisement
  • hi me again..yes I still at all most 2 yrs have trobble sleeping..i can only sleep on right side wit a body pillow between knessa and a pillow behine me so that when I do roll on my back its not all the way..but I wake up and I am under the pillow some how...lol I also take 4 meletionins so total of 10 mg..

• Thanks for letting me know I’m not alone in this. I return to work most likely in Jan, at that time I have to be up by 5:30-6am depending on the day. Soon I have to begin thinking of how  to sleep without taking any muscle relaxers, & getting to bed by 11 pm as before surgery. I’ll probably be too tired to feel my back discomfort  once I begin work again....we’ll see. 

• Hi @sammyTB,

We had the exact same surgery almost a month apart! Mine was June 26. And I am 58 too! It's like we're twins.:-)

I take a muscle relaxer and sleep well, usually all night with no disturbance. I sleep best on my left side but do roll to my back from time to time. I sleep on a fairly firm mattress, with a memory foam topper to make it a little more comfortable. 

My "hardware feeling" is the opposite. Sometimes if I've been on my feet too long or sitting too long I can feel my hardware at the top.

I went back to work October 1. I work from home (on computer and phone all day). Even with that luxury, I was really tired the first month.

Good luck with everything and let's stay in touch.

Julie

• advertisement
  • Hi Sammy:

I highly recommend any mattress with the cushy top. Helps me a ton. Also I start my bedtime routine on my back with a pillow under my knees. I can feel the hardware from my revision surgery but with all my little tricks it’s ok. 

Noreen

advertisement