Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

L4-L5 TLIF postop course

Comments

• I am now in postop week 4 after my L4-L5 TLIF.  I still have pain in my back and my left leg.  I also have numbness in my left leg.  It seems like I have more pain now than a week ago.  I'm thinking of might be from my doing a little more around the house being mindful of no BLT.  I saw the neurosurgeon a week ago and he said the X-rays show everything is in place.

I can walk around the house without a walker.  I can walk 50 to 100 feet with a walker outside the house.  I take one 5 mg oxycodone at night.  I also take acetaminophen and gabapentin.  I cannot work and applied for Social security.  My focus is not to do anything that will hinder my recovery.  My pain lying down is 2-3/10.  My leg pain standing and walking is 5-6/10.

• I want to provide an update of my condition as I recover from my L4-L5 TLIF.  I am now at week 7.   

It feels the pain in my back and legs have gotten worse over the past couple of weeks.  But I have good days and bad days.  On a good day, I feel like I am recovering and things are gradually better.  On a bad day, I have to lay on my heating pad most of the day. 

On a good day, I would say I am better after the surgery.  On a bad day, I think the surgery didn't help much.  But I also know I am still early in recovery.  I have about 3 good days and about 3 bad days a week. Pain is about 3-4/10 on a good day and 6-7/10 on bad days.  I have pain in my lower back and legs (left>right).

From what I have read in this forum, I like to be optimistic and think the ups and downs are normal and that I will continue to improve.  I also think the ups and downs might be due to my efforts to do more and that I don't know when I have walked or stood too long until the next day.

I am glad to report that I have stopped all oxycontin.  My only medications now are gabapentin, Tylenol, and melatonin for sleep.

I still have to sleep flat on my back and it's very hard.  Some nights I don't sleep at all.  Lying on my side causes pain.  I can't wait until I can sleep on side again!

Inside the house, I can walk without a walker of cane.  When I go outside, I prefer to use a walker, it give me support.  I am still wearing my back brace.  I am careful not to bend, twist, or lift.    

• advertisement
  • I am writing to provide an update of my recovery.  It's been 3 months since my L4-L5 fusion surgery.  It was my second surgery, the first was a L4-L5 discectomy that wasn't fully successful as I had persistent severe pain.

With what I have learned from the other posts in this forum, I understand that recovery is a long process that will take many months.  The phrase I use to remind myself is "It's a marathon and not a sprint."  I would be totally discouraged if I didn't hold on to this perspective.

Overall, there has been a trend of gradual improvement with intermittent set backs.  I am now only taking Tylenol 650 mg twice a day with gabapentin 100 mg in the morning and 200 mg at night.  The pain is noticeably worse if I skip any doses.  With the medications, my pain is usually about 4/10.  The pain is in my lower back and left leg. 

I still have the weakness and numbness in my left leg (that I had before the surgery).  The pain in my right leg is minimal.  I was using a cane until I realized it was causing pain my right shoulder.

Because of pain and inability to turn my body, I don't feel safe driving.  I can walk about a half block before the pain gets worse and I turn back.  I can only sleep flat on my back; sleeping on my side causes pain in the lower back.  I have not been able to return to my desk job since I can only sit for short periods.

A most aggravating part of the recovery is that I have 2 to 3 bad days of severe 7/10 pain about twice a week.  On the bad days, I'm on the couch with my heating pad most of the day.  I realize these bad days usually follows days when I try to do too much (e.g. walked too long a the store; sitting too long visiting family).

I am praying that the fusion is progressing appropriately.  I am still wearing a back brace because it feels better to have the extra support.  I am scared to do anything that can jeopardize the fusion process so I am continuing with the BLT restrictions.  I just started physical therapy last week.  I will get xrays and see the neurosurgeon in 3 weeks.      

I am better now than before surgery and hope the trend of improvement will continue.  At the same time, I am very afraid that the spine is not fusing properly.  The xrays next month will tell.

• I just want to provide an update of my progress since my L4-L5 TLIF done 10/15/2018.  I am now nearly 7 months post-op.  I haven't written an update for awhile because I have been very frustrated.  I can no longer tell if I am gradually improving or getting worse.  I have good days when the pain in my low back and left leg is a little less.  Then there are other days when the pain is bad all day.  I can't figure out what I do that brings on the days with bad pain.  I may have 3 to 4 good days one week then 1 to 1 good days the next.  I also have sever pain at the end of day starting around 6:00 pm, on both good and bad days.

When I had the surgery, I was hoping I can improved to the point of returning to work.  I have a desk job that requires sitting and concentration; most of my work is with a computer.  Because I don't think I can work (can't sit very long) I have no choice but to apply for retirement.

I know most people would say that 7 months post-op is still early but it seems like an eternity.  I hope I will continue to improve but I'm starting to have my doubts.  My pain, when it's bad it about 8/10 mostly in my left leg (the same place I had pain before the surgery).  I have also had some intermittent pain in both knees and at the right leg that is not severe.

I bought a new mattress and pillow and am able to sleep better.  On a good day, I can probably walk a half-mile.  On a bad day, I can't make it around the block.  I am still having weekly PT.  I also started acupuncture.  My only pain medication is Tylenol two times per day.  My friends have recommended a CBZ rub and I will try it.

Despite the slow and discouraging progress, I am still better now than I was before the TLIF.

I continue to remind myself that it's a marathon and not a sprint.

advertisement