Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

How much sleep do you get a night?

So I've managed to get myself to about 7 hours of sleep a night... funny enough I judge my recovery based on that how much sleep is everyone else getting and how long did it take you to get there? 

advertisement

Comments

• Sleep? Only with medication! Been 4 years since my fusion and I forget what a full night of non medicated sleep is. I usually wake up every 2-3 hours even with medications.

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,587

Like David. only with medication. I wake up all night long but sleep my best between 5-9 in the morning.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,771

Sleep is a like a four letter word.  That is what first got me involved with Spine-Health forums.  Back in 2006, after I was researching on Spine-Health about my thoracic condition, Stephanie Burke put out a blog about how Chronic Pain impacted your sleep.  I joined the forums and have been here since.

I've never really had a problem falling asleep.  I could be watching TV or reading a book and within 1/2 hour I would fall asleep.  My biggest problem is two fold

1. Almost like clock work, I wake up after 2 hours of good sleep, then I am awake for 2 hours
    2. I wake up when my legs start to throb and the nerve pain kicks in

I've been trying different ways to help with sleep.   First I was using Ambien, but I soon discovered that Ambien and me did not get along.   I had a number of sleep walking episodes using that, so Its stopped.   I've tried some of the OTC sleep aids, but most of them give me a headache in the morning.   A glass of port always helped me get to sleep, but as with any alcohol, after that wears off, you will wake up!

Now, its a combination of sleepy time tea and hot chocolate.  Both seem to work.   Problem is waking up during the night.  Many times, I will be having hot chocolate at 3:00am in the morning       Also, what Sandra said, I can sleep pretty sound from about 4:30 to 8:00am

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • I know how much import sleep is for the human body. But my age is 27 and I can't sleep well at night. I usually sleep at 4 am or 5 am. I tried many days to sleep early but I field. I found my self-waken even in a dark room without noise and comfortable temperature. For less sleep, I woke up late in the morning. For the reason of this bad sleep, I'm getting overweighted and dark circle under my eyes. Please help me out, gimme some good solutions if you guys have any. I really want to sleep a good tight sleep in the night.

• Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 239

Using a hot tub always got me tired when I could use them.

• advertisement
  • I get HORRIBLE sleep.. I will sleep 30 minutes to 2 hours at a time. At about 2-3am, the sciatica pain is so bad that I need to get up. I usually can't get back to sleep after that, so I just stay up. For the past 4 weeks I have not slept past 3am.

• I sleep 2-4 hours every night.  During that time I wake up 2-3 times, I just can't sleep due to a variety of medical problems including pain, of course.  Occasionally, I get 5 hours sleep with the usual wake ups for the bathroom, the pain, and etc.  I wish I could at least sleep 6 hours.

I know of no solutions.

• I have some crazy rituals to sleeping at night but the doctor says whatever works... I get in on my stomach and wait for the nerve pain to stop generally I lift up one leg on a pillow I sleep until pain comes then roll on my side... I have manged 6-7 hours this way... prior to that a recliner chair has been my only help I always wonder if sleep will be a problem forever or not I guess only time will tell. 

• I can fall asleep like tripping a switch as ime tired all the time

But its the staying asleep that is the issue.

Occasionally ill wear myself out so much that ill sleep through the pain.

But those days are few and far between.

White noise..eating a bit before bed, whiskey...

Tylenol helps for about 2 hrs before i metabolise it

Video games(car racing) would suffice for a 2 hour respite

But usually i decide to be too tired for anything else and prioritise sleep

William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• i can sleep between 6-7 hours on weekdays and maybe 8 to 8.5 on weekends, but sometimes I dont get continuous sleep. my nexck starts putting pressure on my temples and behind eyes and that does not help....does not happen as often as before though. I have magnesium some nights, other nights ginger tea or apple vinegar with water

advertisement