Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Lower back strain and sleep

So On Oct 1 at around 6:30 pm I was overcome with pain, muscle spasms and inability to do much more then squirm. The pain was all in my legs but I could tell this was being caused by my back. I was at the libarary at the time and was getting up to leave. This was of course the result of twisting while holding a galon of tea while looking though a bag earlier that day, spending about an hour walking around with that galon of tea and slouching not only on the back of the bus but at the library as well. Also the unloading a reloading a truck one a week probably didn't help. Spent the next half an hour in a computer chair that was rolled over to me squirming while waiting on the ambulance. After being dragged to the hospital and scanned in x-ray and such I was told I had a lower back muscle strain and to get out. I was also given a week's worth prescription for a muscle relaxant and with some help I managed get home went upstairs to my bed room and ate something and got into bed. Eventually I managed to be able to move more and started walking around the house. I made the mistake of walking to and from the library a couple times over the course of October thinking that walking more would help but it seems to have made things worse(the library being over 0.7miles from where I'm at).
Though I'm now unable to stand straight when tired and can't walk more then a block.
This isn't the first time ive been this bad off though. the first time was a few years after I graduated in 09 and became a hermit as I had no idea what to do with myself. By the time I met my ex I was hunched over and unable to move swiftly. It was thanks to her dragging me all over the place and hotel pools that I got my back straightened out. Though when we split up at the end of 2012 I went back into being a hermit and was stuck in a town in the middle of no where. Nothing to do and no where to go I got lazy again but my body never got as bad as it had the first time I went full hermit. After about 2 years and moving to place closer to civilization I started walking to town mostly just to tap off sources of free WiFi. I was finally getting back into better shape. I did get a lower back muscle strain about a year or 2 ago but it wasn't as bad as this time and it went away after about 2 weeks when my back popped. Since it wasn't enough to hinder me to much I never went to see a doctor for it like I did this time around because it didnt render me unable to move of my own accord nor did it hurt as much. 
Now the problems I'm currently having is that I don't think I'm healing right. I'm currently a 250-260p 5.6-5.7f 27 year old male who is somewhat obese with the extra fat being on my stomach. Since my back muscle got strained I havent really been able to stand up straight when I'm tired. I also haven't gotten enough sleep since my back got strained which is one of my main issues currently. A big part of this is because I can't roll over while I'm sleeping. I also can't sleep on the left side due to the muscle thats strained being on my left side(just above my ass) and attempting to do so just leads to pain in the left part of my ass and leg. I'm unable to get to sleep on my stomach or back so I've been sleeping on my right side which was good until I got muscle cramp in it about a week ago and since then when I wake up and move out of bed my right leg starts to hurt like hell til i move up and down the steps a couple times. Also since my back being messed up like it is, I can't sleep for more then 3-4 hours at a time and once I wake up I have to be up more another couple of hours before I can get back to sleep so I have to go though the process or unstiffing my leg each time.the same leg is also getting small muscle spasms occasionally when I get up. It makes me reluctant to go to bed. Is there anyway I can avoid that pain? Would I be better off sleeping on th couch or a recliner? How much longer will this take to heal? A month of being unable to move right is making me stir crazy. It feels like all the walking I was doing was nothing and I think my leg muscles might be degrading from the lack of walking over the past month. on a side note I tried the putting a pillow between the knees thing but couldn't do it cause it made my legs hurt and the pain kept me awake
advertisement

Comments

• Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 320

Sounds like you need to see some medical professionals. You have a lot going on that could be causing or aggravating your pain and if I were in your shoes. I would see my personal physician to initiate treatment.

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,084

thebrokenone
    Welcome to Spine Health

I totally agree with Jerome!! You need a diagnosis so you can be treated properly, not the symptoms, but the root cause. And your pain needs to be controlled so you can sleep.
    Please see your doctor and keep us posted.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
  • I haven't been able to get an appointment set up yet due to dealing with someone who doesn't listen, but I did manage to fix the hunching issue by changing to a different chair after  broke the lawn chair I was using and increased my sleeping time to 4-5 hours by putting a pillow beneath my back while sleeping on my right side. This also seems to have cut the time I'm in pain upon getting up in half as well as making it so I only have to get down the steps once to unstiffin my leg. 

• It's been a couple months, im getting more sleep but I can't sleep on my left side anymore otherwise it feels like my back is ripping every time I get out bed, at least I can now sleep on my right side without it making my leg hurt and it's a lot easier to get out of bed if I sleep on my right side with only a bit of stiffness. also finally got to see a doctor and had an MRI done. Turns out I got herniated discs pinching my sciatic nerve and ive got an appointment that I might not even be able to get to due to lack of transportation set up in February. I don't know if i started off with a lower back muscle sprain but some how made it worse , if I only had the  herniated disk and was misdiagnosed at first or if I had both at the time. If I did have both it begs the question of whether or not the muscle sprain is healed or not. I'm still getting pain in my leg if I'm on my feet to long and I still can't walk as much I used to. 

What should I be doing? I'm a bit spooked of walking and I'm not sure what kind of exercises I should be doing. Back issues or not I still have to shed off more of this unnecessary weight. Of course trying to get rid of this weight was one of the things to cause me to get hurt to begin with so I have to be more cautious about it... But at the same time I have to heal faster due to issues at home.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,303

Many times its hard to distinguish where the original problem started and how it manifested itself.

We could us some more information..  Please read and respond to  New Members Guidelines and Checklist

And you should probably take a look at  Chronic Pain Step by Step Approach

I would also try everything you can to make your appointments.   Has the doctor that ordered the MRI given you any results?  and offer any action plan?

Walking generally, especially on level ground should never create a problem.   Maybe starting off with small distances and then building up.  But I would still check with your doctor to make sure they would ok you walking

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • He hasn't given me an action plan and I'm supposed to pick up the results and take them to the other doctor he's sending me to see next month He hasn't given me much in way of information. I haven't been able to get up to the hospital due to lack of bus fair and inability to walk that far. Another thing is it's that I found out that a lot of the pain I was getting when walking was from my belt, so I've been walking in shorts.

I'm also pretty sure at this the main cause of this was lifting heavy crates that where above my capacity though sheer willpower over the summer and how I was lifting them. Not sure what other information I can give

• Welcome to disc herniation. Your story sounds similar. I thought my pain was caused by a pulled muscle. It was a disc herniation. Id imagine your doctor recommended pain management. Go see a an orthopedic surgeon and see what he says. 

advertisement