Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

February 2019 Surgery Buddies

Comments

• Hello! 

Glad to have found this sight. I have surgeries scheduled  on February 5th and 8th. Although I cannot recall the name of my surgeries, I do know what they are doing and where. The first one entails anterior T1-C3. I remember being told the discs are removed and replaced by something from a cadaver. A cage is built around each and then screws and a plate (maybe another word was used) is positioned for stability. Then, the second surgery is the same, but posterior T1 or T2 - C3. The thoracic will be decided during surgery. I’m assuming this is the spinal fusion in which many others have mentioned. Yet, when I look up its definition I don’t see mention of the screws and plate. But, I’m quite obviously not familiar with medical terminology. 

I’m 47 with three children (18, 15 & 12). Naturally, my family wants me to stay positive so I’ve not fully verbalized how frightened I am. Reading through other posts, it is comforting to hear from others with similar surgeries.  I do not have dramatic complications in my life from my spine problems. But, I do have challenges and pain. The only recollection I have regarding the source of this damage to my spine was a wreak 27 years ago.  I’ve no memory of a time without neck pain  

I look forward to reading more on this site in the days to come. But, wanted to ensure I posted here since my surgery dates are quickly approaching.

• Hello! 

Glad to have found this site. I have surgeries scheduled  on February 5th and 8th. Although I cannot recall the name of my surgeries, I do know what they are doing and where. The first one entails anterior T1-C3. I remember being told the discs are removed and replaced by something from a cadaver. A cage is built around each and then screws and a plate (maybe another word was used) is positioned for stability. Then, the second surgery is the same, but posterior T1 or T2 - C3. The thoracic will be decided during surgery. I’m assuming this is the spinal fusion in which many others have mentioned. Yet, when I look up its definition I don’t see mention of the screws and plate. But, I’m quite obviously not familiar with medical terminology. 

I’m 47 with three children (18, 15 & 12). Naturally, my family wants me to stay positive so I’ve not fully verbalized how frightened I am. Reading through other posts, it is comforting to hear from others with similar surgeries.  I do not have dramatic complications in my life from my spine problems. But, I do have challenges and pain. The only recollection I have regarding the source of this damage to my spine was a wreak 27 years ago.  I’ve no memory of a time without neck pain  I’ve had chiropractic care, PT, Tens, orthopedic massage, and a few back and spine doctors. June 2018 my symptoms increased and  began to impact all areas of my life  

I look forward to reading more on this site in the days to come. But, wanted to ensure I posted here since my surgery dates are quickly approaching. 

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,372

MeMay!

Welcome to Feb. Surgery Buddies!! Below is a link that will help you with medical terms.

Understanding Medical Term
    There are also helpful links I have posted on page 1 of this thread, if you have not read them. 
    Take care and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Hi all, sorry you are all here but glad of your company.

I just had the preop with my surgeon. So, my fusion will be T2-L3 with posterior osteotomies. He didn't tell me much tbh, I didn't like him much. I don't suppose I need to. I asked about revision surgery...He said 10% patients need it. Also 1:1-2000 get nerve damage. Apart from those downer, it sounds less onerous than I thought. Will be allowed to bend using my knees. Back to work after 6 weeks (I am staying off 12...He wasn't factoring in being a single parent!  I want the rest). 

The only thing that worries me, is if it doesn't solve the pain. He said some of my pain wasnt obviously attributable to my back. I am going to work really hard at my recovery...walking and exercises, healthy diet etc

Hope you are all holding up ok and not TOO scared

AmandaL
    Welcome to Feb. Surgery Buddies. What is the date of your surgery? Recovery takes time and patience and it's good to hear you say "I am going to work really hard at my recovery". That was the one thing I kept telling myself and I did just that. I did and no exactly what the doctor told me. And it paid off.
    Go back to page one (1) and click on the links I have provided, very good, helpful information.
    Take care and hope to hear from you soon.

Sandra
  • advertisement
  • Hi Mersin. Surgery is next Thursday, on the 7th. I will be pleased to get it done and get on with recovering. I find waiting really stressful. I'm trying to relax and do nice things, but it's all I can think about

Bit disappointed, surgeon said he will be aiming for 50 or 60 degree angle. I was hoping for straighter

AmandaL
    Have you talked to your surgeon and asked him why only a 50 06 degree angle and not straighter? Maybe if you knew his reason you would feel better about it.
    Hang in there, we are all behind you.

Sandra
  • He said it would put too much strain on the screws. I am at 95 degrees currently

So far these are the surgeries for February.

2-05-19 - nikcanrn - ALIF-L5-S1
    2-05-19 - Memay - C3-T1 (second surgery on the 8th)
    2-07-19 - AmandaL - full fusion
    2-13-19 - FionaFaye - ACDF C2-C6
    2-14-19 - momdown - 

If anything has changed or is incorrect please let me know.

Sandra
  • azcoolmomaazcoolmom Posts: 18
    edited 02/02/2019 - 1:34 AM

Hi Memerainbolt and all the February surgery buddies. I'm scheduled for 2 level PLIF L4-S1  on February 19th.  It stopped being optional when leg numbness and weakness became really bad. I've had 5 significant falls since Nov 1st and can barely walk across the room. The last few weeks I've had painful hip involvement with groin pain. The neurosurgeon believes it's due to the spondylolisthesis causing the muscles to have to work harder to hold the spine in place. He keeps saying that the spine is basically coming apart at the bottom. That the L5-S1 have already fused from the Ankylosing spondylitis and that has put stress on the L4 pushing it out and forward. I'm not really looking for back pain relief as much ad regaining the use of my legs, getting rid of the terrible muscle spasms and the wrap around hip pain. 

I'm 63 and have lived a very active life. I still substitute teach, do volunteer work, and take care of my two grandsons, when their mom is working.  We live in Montana, have a hobby farm with chickens and gardens and love to hike in Glacier Park. Although I know I'll have to go easier after surgery, getting my mobility back is why I need this surgery. 

With information I've gotten on the site, I was able to get a lot of questions answered. But there's always so much unknown. Especially with a recovery this long and painful. It's good to have others walking this same path, and willing to share their thoughts. 

advertisement