Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

March 2019 Surgery Buddies

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,355

tallstephanie
    welcome to march surgery buddies!! i do hope you will have some help not just for yourself but for the two little ones. but you need to stay positive about the surgery and recovery, it always helps. below are a couple of links that will help you out.
    recovery, the most important phase - patience required
    post op must haves 

take care and please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Tall Stephanie,

Has your significant other checked into family leave?  A lot of states have these programs so you can get the help you need.

• advertisement

Just checking on everyone and hoping things are getting better each day.
    Take care and keep us posted.

Sandra
  • Yesterday and today have been challenging pain wise. I can’t take NSAIDs due to an allergy so my surgeons PA called in a medrol dose pack for me to have on hand for the weekend, but I haven’t used it yet because I hate the side effects. They also allowed me to take my pain meds every 3 hrs instead of every 4 which has also been helpful along with ice of course! I was able to get up and shower and then go for a short walk outside today with the help of my boyfriend (he is AMAZING), and the sunny weather has helped lift my spirits as well. All in all I don’t think this recovery (so far) is as bad as my first surgery so for that I am grateful! I look forward to continuing to make progress and have less and less pain each day. Hope everyone else is having a smooth recovery! <3

Avery 

• Hi tallstephanie, good luck with your surgery and recovery! I have a young adult son with autism (2 other mostly grown kids) and I am having a 4 level lumbar laminotomy on 3/25. I had a laminectomy about 10 yrs ago and other surgeries including a 4 level cervical fusion this past year and you will do great. Kids are a great motivation and special needs kids push us to get back to life! Best to you!

• advertisement
  • I meant to report back way before now, but it's been a bit of ablur. It's been a WEEK since I had surgery, I can't believe it!

It happened as scheduled on 7th March. Do you know the department's in the hospital have an 8am meeting where they battle it out for ICU beds???!My surgeon won that. They was a phone call to the theatre just after I was wheeled in and anaesthetists were preparing my catheter, which had everyone do a sharp intake of breath. They said that they had been in that position before and being told to stand down, as a higher priority case had taken the ICU bed from under their noses 

I woke up 12 hours later in the recovery room with an obviously inexperienced and panic stricken nurse trying to organise porters to take me to ICU. The first thingt I asked her was  if my family had been informed that the operation was over/I was alive? And she inexplicably dialled my mum from the recovery room and put ME on the phone! ! I  was really worried about frightening her!!

I was in and out of consciousness in ICU for what I estimated to be 3 days, on the DCA machine. I was only there 4 hours!!!  The surgeons came to see me and said surgery had gone really well, no snags, correction was at least 50%, fused T2 to L3

I have a photo on my phone of the before and after x-rays. I would love to upload, to show you

• That sounds crazy @Amanda L.  Sounds like you might be located outside the us.  Glad everything went well with your surgery even if it was chaotic .

AmandaL

Thanks for the update!! Are you home? At least the week went by fast and hopefully without too much pain. 
    Another member from the UK had the same thing happen except she made it to the operating room and they pulled her out for someone else. Read the link below when you can and let us know how you are doing.

Recovery, the most important phase - Patience required

Sandra
  • 5oranges, I am in the UK. I have to say, the work the surgeons did was great. And the after care has 99% been brilliant. I was moved into a neutologneur ward after 9ICU and got daily visits from the physics and from the spinal team. 

The hardest day was coming off the PCA. I was moved onto 6 hourly dihydrocodeine & paracetamol, with 3 hourly oramorph for break through pain. At first I couldn't tolerate the oramorph. It was giving me abdominal pain as bad as my back pain! I was screaming and crying and vomiting with pain. And this 1 night nurse said there was nothing else they could do . He turned my light off and shut the door!! The staff in the morning, quickly got me comfortable, but it was a frightening experience

I can home yesterday, on day 6. Spent today, washing myself..think I over did it. Really sore now and finding it hard to get comfortable

Considering buying a recliner. Do you think it's a waste of money?

AmandaL
    I'm glad you are home but I hate what you had to go through with the pain. A recliner may be a good idea. But if it did not work for you, you could always send it back.
    Please don't overdo any thing, read the article below on recovery.
    Recovery, the most important phase - Patience required

Take care and take it easy.

Sandra
advertisement