Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

March 2019 Surgery Buddies

Comments

• My surgery is scheduled for two days from now. Today I woke up with fever blisters (cold sores) on my top lip! Has anyone gotten these this close to surgery? I've battled them my whole life. I believe these showed up from stress.

My concern is during surgery my mouth will have the intubation hose in it and my lips will dry out. If you've ever had these, you know that is the last thing we want. It will crack and bleed.

I will tell the anesthesiologist and hopefully he will remember.

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,364

bonnubbin1949
    Welcome to March Surgery Buddies!! I would suggest you tell one of the pre-op nurses to put it in your chart for after surgery so they can have something ready. Do you have any meds now that you use on them? If so, take them with you.
    Good luck on your surgery tomorrow. Please send us an update when you feel better.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
  • Just checking in...my surgery was a week ago today (3/25). I came home last Thursday. I'm doing ok. All the restrictions that didn't seem so hard are some what a bigger deal than you think. You don't realize how much twisting and turning you do as an automatic response. I have to really be alert to what I'm attempting to do. I do have a question, how long after you came home did you take medication? I go get my staples out this Friday (4/5). He only gave me a 14 day supply of pain meds and I know how much pain I still have. I would just like to know if I'm worrying over nothing.

Have a good week!

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,364

I believe in staying on top of the pain. Don't wait, keep it under control by taking it as prescribed. See how you feel in 2 weeks and if you need to, call and ask to have it extended. Everyone has a different tolerance level.
    When I had my surgery I learned to spin on my heels instead of twisting. To this day, I still do it. Try it out!

You sound like you are doing good, recovery takes time and patience.
    Recovery, the most important phase - Patience required

Take care and keep us posted.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Memerainbolt, 

I slipped and almost fell yesterday. I didn't fall, but I feel like I might have pulled something in my lower back. Could I possibly have done anything really bad? I go to the doc on Friday and I'll also have xrays that morning. I'm walking very stiffly. Whatever I did, it took my breath when it happened. I appreciate your comments.

• advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526

@Mems24

Answering both of your questions:

One.  The time period for when to stop taking medications after surgery varies from surgery to surgery and from surgeon to surgeon.  Before 2018, it seemed that the normal amount of opioids given to most spinal surgeries was for 30 days.   Some of the minor surgeries, perhaps less.   After 2018, I have heard from a 7 day to 14 day supply like you were given.    Personally, I think that might be  understated.    After you read my discussion about recovery, normally in the beginning you are just getting over the surgical pain, so pain medications are important.  Then you start to feel better and might not need as much pain medication.  But as you start the recovery process, especially if any nerves were involved, new pain starts where having pain medication is important.    For many post surgical patients, thats about the time they are out of their current prescription.   Most surgeons will work with their patients after that period.    

You never want the pain to build up too much.  As Sandra stated stay ahead of the pain.   If you wait too long, then the normal dosage may not seem to help with the pain and many times, that is when patients go for another dose.   Thats when the problem of how many pills you have left and if a doctor will refill.

Two.  It is always very scary keeping to all the restrictions after surgery.  Some times, a bend or a twist is totally unavoidable and is done without any harm.  All depends on just how much that bend was.   With an almost fall, that can put a lot of bending and twisting into motion.   You should just take it more cautiously until you see your doctor Friday.   Most of the time, I tell patients to see how they feel the days after the incident.  If things remain the same, then probably nothing happened, but if things get worse, thats when a call to the doctor is important.   It could be nothing, but its always reassuring to have a doctor look at you and say the same thing.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • @Mems24 I was sent home with a 7 day supply which is law here in Florida my surgeon said I could call to request refills if needed but in my case I was off pain meds I'm just a day or 2 but I was 4 days in the hospital post op. 

• Hey everyone! New here! My name is Lindsay, I’m 33 and I just had a Microdiscectomy on March 25. L5-S1. Im just wondering how everyone is doing pain wise? I have been having some hip pain, back pain, awful tingling in my right foot and my right leg has been going numb off and on since surgery. I didn’t have any of that before surgery besidesnof course the back pain and shooting leg pain. Ive called my surgeon and haven’t heard back so I’m just wondering if this sounds normal? 

advertisement