Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

April 2019 Surgery Buddies

Comments

• I am 1 week out from my surgery. L2/jL3 herniated. The micro surgery removed many pieces on the nerve. Before surgery I had limited movement and severe pain 24/7 for six weeks. After surgery pain free first couple days, but now some of the pain has returned to my leg, and some movement is difficult. Not sure if I should be worried about this or not. I had so much pain beforehand that I just can’t go back to that. 

• I’m sorry for late reply but I’ve not been on for a while due to pain levels.  My surgery is at l4/l5 

Just a couple of day to go x

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,364

tcdug
    You are only one week out, it will take and patience. It is normal for some of the nerve pain to return as the nerves are trying to wake up from being impinged. And that's a good thing, you do not want permanent damage. Keep the ice packs handy, sometimes they help out. Please read the link below, it has helped so many other members.
    Recovery, the most important phase - Patience required
    Take care and keep us posted.

mikki
    I am so sorry you have been in that much pain. Hopefully, this surgery will eliminate that problem.
    Take care and post when you feel better.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • I am now 72 hours out from my second microdiscectomy in 5 months. Pain is much better this time around, he found 14 shards of bone in there from my former surgeon! (Is that normal??)

Waking around the pain is mostly at the incision site and I have some sciatica still, hoping that will calm down. I remain cautiously optimistic. 

Here's to patience. Being a lump on the couch is not all its cracked up to be...

riseandgrind74
    You need to be a lump on the couch!! lol. Glad you're not in pain, time and patience. Hope you do well during recovery.

Sandra
  • advertisement

Lionheartsx
    Wishing you the best on your surgery tomorrow, a TLIF L4-L5.
    Please keep us posted when you feel better.

Sandra
  • Just wanted to update everyone: had laminectomy/fusion April 1st, came home on the 4th, and have had little pain. In fact, if I don’t move at all, there is NO pain! But move I must, and I’m trying to watch what I do. I’m allowed to go back to work May 1st. My old friend depression has returned, so I need the comraderie of my co-workers. I will only have the month of May until summer break, then I can continue recovering through July. Just trying to figure out if I should have the gallbladder surgery in July before I go back for the new school year. Right now, I have no symptoms (cause I’m not really eating a whole lot yet), and even my neck pain has gone away (most likely due to pain meds), so I’m enjoying that for the time being. I’m amazed at how little pain I’ve had, especially since the pain was excruciating with knee replacement, although I did have to contend with the blistering and skin sensitivity that oxycodone gives me. (Probably should have stuck it out with Oxys for TKR too, but didn’t. Hindsight is so perfect!) Anyway, wanted to let everyone know that so far I’m doing well, and hope to continue to do well. I’d love to go back to the rheumatologist that said (in 1989) I in no way, shape, or form had arthritis, (which made the orthopedic doctor drop me as a patient), and scream in his ear how wrong he was, because I could’ve been treated all these years. But, at last, I believe I have found a team of doctors who listened to me in recent years, and are treating me now. Now my thing is mostly “it is what it is”, and I try to “work” it away as best I can. Thank you for having helpful articles to read and to kind of know what to expect. Doctor said as long as I don’t gain weight and don’t lift things, I should not need future surgery, at least in the lumbar area! I’ll pop in now and then, and call on you guys when it’s time for neck repair! Thanks again for your website.

RhondaTai 
    We all hope you surgery goes well today. When you feel better let us know how you are doing.
    Good luck tomorrow on your first day of recovery.

Sandra
  • Thanks. Recovering slowly. Previous neck pain and arm numbness/tingling gone. I am just dealing with a bit of pain along my upper back and along my shoulders. Taking it a day at a time. Currently taking muscle relaxers and Tylenol, using ice packs, walking a bit and resting frequently.

• I am a 65 year old woman with diabetes, high blood pressure, chronic depression, severe osteoarthritis and sleep apnea, all responding well to treatment. I am having a posterior lumbar decompression and fusion surgery on April 8th. The affected vertebrae are L3, 4 and 5. I have been putting it off for nearly 10 years and have been having epidural steroid injections regularly. They don't work for more than a few days now and I can't take the constant back pain and leg pain and numbness any longer.  In December I had an MRI and I saw the neurosurgeon last Wednesday.  He explained the results and my options,  which were to have the surgery or carry on as before. Obviously, I have chosen to have the surgery and I was rather taken aback when they booked me for less  than 3 weeks ahead. Now I feel like I am scrambling. I have a CAT scan on Monday and another appointment with the neurosurgeon on Tuesday.  I was expecting a long wait for the surgery,  like the 2 years I had to wait for my knee replacements. I am wondering if it will be even more painful than my knee replacements and I worry that something will go wrong and I will end up worse off than before. My mother died from a postoperative infection which is always in the back of my mind. My other surgeries have been so successful which is good, but how can I be so lucky again? 

advertisement