Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Jacket Question

Hi,

I'm new on the forums, and wanted to quickly introduce myself and please ask for some advice. I hope this is the right place to post this message - I looked through the list and chose this forum, but please move it if I've got it wrong (sorry)!

I suffered some quite bad lower back issues last year (herniated disc, nerve issues, surgery) and while I've done reasonably well in recovering and learning how to manage things, I'm still in the process of making changes to better help myself.

As the weather is beginning to turn, I'm looking to buy a decent winter jacket (my old jacket is very worn out!), and I'm wondering if any one has any advice on good jackets for people with back issues?

I'm thinking about things like overall weight, position of pockets, ease of getting it on and off, etc. One thing which I thought about specifically was whether a powder skirt inside a jacket is a big help in keeping the cold off the lower back? I understand that trying them on is always best, but that's not always an option for me, so I'm looking to narrow it down first before deciding where I should go to try them.

I would never have thought twice about these things previously, but having made some progress I would like to do all I can to avoid the kind of pain from before.

Thank you very much to anyone who can offer any help, ideas, or advice!

advertisement

Comments

• I always buy a jacket that at least goes down to my hips and has a collar to keep my neck warm.  A jacket that only goes to my waist doesn't help my lower back.  I always want a jacket that keeps me warm but is lightweight.  Heavy jackets pull on my shoulders and make my spine hurt more.

• I use a canvas body jacket that has wintet "black" insulation inside.

Large pockets,loose fit, which is good because walking will have you unzip to cool off.slides on and off easy and pretty much been used hard for around14 years and just starting to show its age, got it at the local farm,supply store,

William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• advertisement
  • Thanks for the ideas, I appreciate it!