Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Alif surgery L5 s1

I'm new to this page. Reason being I'm scared . That's the honest truth. My Dr. says I need an ALIF surgery for my l5 s1. And I'm freaking out.  Can anyone tell me if it's a good surgery.  And if anyone has had this surgery done a few years back. How are you doing now. I have to make up my mind asap . And I think if I hear it from someone that has had it I can try to make up my mind. Thank you 

advertisement

Comments

• I have not had this surgery but to find members who have, and related discussions, use the google search above.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,771

Anyone facing surgery for the first time has to be nervous and scared.  There have probably been so many terms thrown at you and options, you head can be spinning

Take a look at this, it has a lot of details about     Spinal Lumbar Fusion Surgery

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971
    edited 11/29/2018 - 5:17 AM

dz44...

Of course you're scared... any surgery is a big deal... and we've all experienced the same fear.  Your procedure (ALIF) is a pretty common surgical procedure for lumbar fusion now days... so I wouldn't be scared thinking the surgery is something experimental or the like.  Even though it's common it is a major surgery... it's not like getting your wisdom teeth pulled out.  So be sure to get your mindset right... You will most likely be hospitalized for 3-4 days depending on your doctor's practice and for sure the first week will be the toughest... so be sure to have someone (a spouse or family member) who can help you during the initial days.  Unlike some surgeries the recovery period for lumbar fusion is a longggggg process typically taking a number of months... not days or weeks... so prepare yourself for a marathon not a sprint.  Lumbar fusion surgery is NOT something you simply bounce back from... it takes a LOT of patience, discipline, and work.  Your pain most likely will NOT go away immediately... so don't be disappointed or think that your surgeon did something wrong because things are not suddenly better straight out of the starting gate from surgery.  The nerve roots in your spine take a long time to calm down and heal after surgery and until they do they will fire like crazy.  You will most likley experience various periods of both ups and downs in both your physical and emotional recovery.  Try to just "roll with it" as it's all part of the recovery process... slow and steady wins the race here.  VERY importantly you MUST follow your doctor's orders 110%... there are no shorts cuts in the recovery process... and cheaters wanting to short circuit the process typically pay the price.  Finally educate yourself... the more you understand about your "illness" and surgery the better... knowledge helps conquer the fear.  This site is a good place to start... there is TONS of useful info here as well as other folks who have been in your shoes.  You're off to a good start... you found this site. 

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • First thing you need to ask yourself is the pain & limitations your having so bad that you cannot tolerate it anymore , if the answer is yes then you need to proceed with surgery,if that is your decision then you need to get your head straight before surgery. I have had three fusion surgeries ang yes they are no picnic and the healing process can be tough. All of my surgeries went well it just takes time and work that is the reason I said get that head straight and go into it sating to yourself that you will be fine. Good luck   

advertisement