Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Kaseytoo

It's 2 years now since I had a L4/L5 fusion operation for a ruptured/ bulging disc. Right leg problem totally fixed now and I'm mobile and painless in the leg and buttock.. However my old lower back problem is still there which I have had for years at L5/S1 and at the right side facet . (also at L3/L4 facet to a lesser extent). Scans indicate bone to bone contact at the base, posteriorly and often strong pain persists if I get very active with general jobs around the house or try to play golf. Have been told these two vertebra may fuse naturally over time as no disc can be seen....but how long is that " time " ?

Has anyone else in the forum experienced anything similar. My own surgeon can't even guess how long natural fusion takes. He says though, if/when I've had enough and can't wait more years for natural fusion to finish, he'll operate, put fixed spacers in and adjust things with the rods/screws above already in place. Don't really want another op, but maybe with the L5 vertebra elevated back to its old position, the pain from S1 contact and the L5/S1 facet will be eliminated. But which might not happen at that facet , and also maybe the nerve exit spaces on both sides may be reduced anyway by natural fusion if I continue to wait. 

Just how long can/should anyone wait for natural fusion to be complete?

advertisement

Comments

• I don't think anyone could even guess on how long a natural fusion would take.  Everyone is so different.

• The problem I see is that if you are already in pain and it actually does naturally fuse in that position without the spacers you will probally always be in pain, that's just my opinion obviously you need to talk with your doctor about that scenerio

• advertisement