Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Have you received many varying professional opinions pertaining to Cervical Stenosis?

I received the gamut of diagnosis of the severity from mild to severe with  an equal number of varying proposed interventions to include:  no surgery, arthroplasty, to ACDF

No consensus amongst several highly qualified neurosurgeons :(

What's a layman to do?

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,771

All of that should be clear in the MRI report.  Then based on that, there could be different opinions on how to proceed.  A lot depends on the degree of stenosis

All about Spinal Stenosis

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Thanks, Ron

But the doctors are looking at the same imaging and give varying opinions from mild stenosis to severe and no surgery to ACDF.

• advertisement

I can understand that when doctors look at the actual images, they may have slightly different opinions regarding the severity.

But the MRI report spells out in detail if the condition is mild, moderate or severe.

Still, when you have different medical opinions and action plans, it is wise to seek another opinion.  You always want to have two medical professionals who agree on the condition and agree on the action plan

• Literally a dozen neurosurgeon opinions looking at the same imagery.

From their reports:  mild stenosis, moderate stenosis, severe stenosis

Proposed intervention vary from:  no surgery, arthroplasty, ACDF, arthroplasty or ACDF (my choice) 

Absolutely no consensus.  I also thought their was a metric applied to determine the degree of stenosis (narrowing).

Thats totally amazing that the number of medical professionals you have mentioned and they are all looking at the same report and image and they come up with an unbelievable range in the condition.   Not for nothing, but I'd have a very hard time dealing with any of those doctors, when they cant seem to come up with the same conclusions.

There are specific numbers that the medical field uses in determining the degree of stenosis.

These are averages

Lumbar

15mm and 27mm    When its below 12mm, the condition of spinal stenosis is present, when it drops under 8mm, the condition becomes moderate to severe

Cervical

8.8mm and 12.4,,   When its below 6mm, the condition of cervical stenosis is present, below 4mm , its considered severe.

• advertisement
advertisement