Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

January 2019 Surgery Buddies

Comments

• smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 449

I had a down day yesterday.  Previous day, I had an appointment with the pain clinic 1.25 hours away from home.  So there was way more sitting than I've been used to now for 3 weeks.  I'm noticing that on days where I'm pushing the boundaries a bit too much, I have a rough night, and a crumby day to follow- pain levels and emotions all over the place! But I made the decision last night to 'let it go' and start afresh in the morning.  And it's been a great day so far!  I've heard it said before - this is a marathon, not a sprint.  Be patient with yourself, forgive yourself when you mess up, and start fresh every day - one day at a time!  

• smartens162- truly words of wisdom! I did too much the other day & the following day was pretty much a wash but its hard to learn that lesson. I have a feeling it'll be a little like Groundhog Day with me thinking I'm stronger than I am and doing too much. I think finding that balance is the tough part since its different for everyone. 

• advertisement
  • My surgery was January 18th.  I am still experiencing some challenges.  I am still needing the walker to walk as I don't have leg strength and still feel weak.  How long did other people use walkers for post spinal fusion? I had L5-S1 fused with the ALIF and PLIF approach. I am in a back brace as well.  I had some complications (yeast/skin infection and allergic reaction around incisions on my back , but that is all healed now).  I am finding it difficult still to get into the shower at my parents house due to not having leg strength...no shower yet, but it will come in time as I build up my strength with the isometric exercises given to me by my in home PT (I should start outpatient PT in about 3 weeks).....did not realize how much strength I would lose in my legs after this surgery. How long did others use walkers for? Pain is being managed pretty well with Gabapentin, Oxycodone and Tylenol....I am off the morphine. The biggest challenge I have right now is not being able to sleep at night.  I prefer to sleep in my recliner.  While my recliner is very comfortable, I just can't seem to stay comfortable at night...my back constantly aches and hurts at night...over all ,I feel like I am making slow but steady progress..this is a marathon, not a sprint.  I know I have a long ways to still go. I have a great support team, which has been very helpful. My massage therapist and acupuncturist come over weekly to help with pain management. 

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,354

CPinkston
    Just remember, you are only 4 weeks out. Everyone heals different and some take longer than others. You seem like you are getting excellent in home care, just take it easy. Slow progress is better than none, hang in there.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Thank you. Yes, i know I am  only 4 weeks out and that is not a long time.  I know i have many months to go. I have had excellent in home care. I have to remind myself constantly to slow down. I do need to take it easy still.  

• advertisement
  • I am 4 weeks out from surgery & am going to start working with PT on using a cane this week. I still use the walker when I get up at night to use the toilet bc that's when I might be a little dizzy or not as stable. My legs are still weak and I cannot stand from a seated position without using my arms to push off. Only exception is getting out of bed bc it's high. I'm making slow progress but my left leg is the weakest and its the one that has some nerve damage so only time will tell how much it will improve. I am finding that my simple exercises are helping but my hamstrings are so tight. I'm limited in movement by my right leg since I have the back brace leg piece on that leg (I call it my peg leg). My back muscles are starting to make themselves known at night but the pain has been light so I've only needed to use my tramadol once; I do find that I feel stronger when I don't take pain meds, but will take them when needed. 

While we may have had back surgery around the same time, it is important to not get caught up in comparing one recovery to another to measure one's progress.  Every body is different.  @CPinkston had an infection during recovery - that's going to slow the progress because your body has to put energy into fighting that as well.  I had a MIS-TLIF, which is supposed to bring a much quicker recovery than the 'open-back' surgeries that are being done a lot of the time.  My recovery is going very well, I can't complain.  I feel like I could probably take less of the tramadol already, but I am slowly tapering off so as not to trigger any serious withdrawal symptoms.  Not being allowed to take any NSAIDs, I am fearful of the typical migraines I get with withdrawals.  I am down to 150mg tramadol daily, at one month post-op...I was not given a back brace, it doesn't seem to be done around here (Canada).  I also was able to keep up muscle strength with regular exercise right up until surgery, and I feel that has made the biggest difference in my progress.    I don't use my walker; it stands beside my bed so I can hang onto it getting out of bed, but probably a week ago I stopped using it altogether.  I still hang on to my hubby's elbow when going out, I am scared of slipping or stumbling on ice/snow.  I shower daily, mostly because I need to wash my face daily and have difficulty at a bathroom sink so a shower is easier.  I am able to walk 1.5 miles at a time, at a pretty decent pace.  I try to walk every day, but it's very much determined by the weather (Canada, mid-winter).  I walk with cleats on my shoes, so I have traction and much less chance of slipping - I'm very wary, and if I feel it's not safe, I won't go, but so far so good.  I have learned to get my socks and shoes on by myself by sitting where I can get my foot onto my opposite knee...it's not easy, and only recently that I've gotten to this point.  I use a long shoehorn to get my shoes on and tie up the laces as above.

As well as I am doing, today I was super tired.  I awoke in the am around 9:00am and got up and did my walk (it takes me about 1/2 hr).  When I got home I fried up some eggs for breakfast and went back to bed.  I slept until about 3:00pm!  I guess my body needed the rest.  We are doing some hard work, this healing business!  All the best to my surgery buddies - one day at a time!  Celebrate the baby steps :)

I don't know if this is allowed, but I have a blog and I've been journaling my recovery in detail there.  It's been good for me, to look back on the ups and downs and the eventual progress.  I found it very helpful when I was researching the surgery, to read other people's recovery journals or look up vlogs on youtube.  

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,521

@smartens162

You are not allowed to post the url of your blog in any discussion/post/ or comment.

However, you can add it to your signature line in your profile

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 

thanks Ron, I kinda thought so.  It's all good :)

• Progress in my recovery as I went into my office and worked today instead of from home sitting in my reclining lift chair working remotely. It is quite different because of the difference in the support of the chairs. For anyone getting ready to the same after lower back surgery I suggest an adjustable height desk (I have) and a lumbar support cushion (just ordered one from Amazon) of some type. I am a little more sore than normal but the ice will help and then back at it again tomorrow.

advertisement