Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

January 2019 Surgery Buddies

Comments

• I am new to this site and did not see how I can reply to user "bm1374" (except sending a separate email). We both have surgery dates on Jan. 8. I have adult degenerative scoliosis, which started as a couple of herniated discs, progressing to stenosis, spondylolisthesis, and a curve that has been progressing rapidly over the past 2 years. I will be having spinal fusion of L3-S1, possibly more, along with cages, etc. I am also a competitive rower. Ironically, I can row 10K meters with minimal discomfort (although the curve has totally messed up my form and balance), but I can't walk more than a quarter of a mile without losing all feeling in my feet and experiencing a fair amount of pain. I think I'm as ready as I can be for the surgery. I'm at the point of just wanting to get past it, so I can slowly but surely get ready to resume rowing in 2020. Best wishes to all who have the misfortune of needing a forum like this!

• LizLiz Posts: 9,745

sashha 

Welcome to Spine-Health

To reply to a discussion you do the same as you have done here, go to the end of the discussion where it says leave a message, type your message and then click on post comment.

https://www.spine-health.com/forum/categories/new-member-introductions

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,357

L2S1
    Wishing you good luck on your surgery tomorrow. Please take care and let us know how you are doing.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Hello! I am scheduled for ACDF C5-7 surgery on Jan 17th. I have been lurking around the site reading getting information and decided to join for support. I have always had trouble with my neck/back for as long as I can remember and have been going to the chiropractor just as long. The neck really gave me problems when I had a 8 to desk job but got better when I changed jobs that didn't keep me at the computer all day. I also am very active and a runner. I run several races each year. This fair up that caused me to see the neurosurgeon happened just getting up out of bed ... crazy how that works! I spent 3 days in excrutiating pain with visits to my chiropractor who finally said, get a MRI we need to see what's going on. MRI revealed 2 bulging discs (c5-6 & c6-7) impinging nerves and pressing on my spinal cord. Went to my primary care physician with my MRI and both him and my chiropractor talked and sent my to the neurosurgeon who said surgery would be necessary otherwise I would risk permanent nerve damage or worse paralysis! So here I am awaiting surgery day.

texdt
    welcome to jan. surgery buddies!!
    i'm sorry you have to go through this surgery but i'm glad they found it when they did. being as active as you have always been helps in recovering. below are some articles you may want to read as well as post-op must haves.
    post op must haves 
    3 things to know about neck range of motion after acdf surgery
    acdf surgery 
    take care and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Sandra
  • advertisement

sashha
    Welcome to Jan. Surgery Buddies! I really hope this surgery gets you back to your rowing and being active again. I also have degenerative scoliosis, stenosis, spondylolisthesis and a host other issues. So I know how you feel. My scoliosis came on about 3 yrs. ago and is moving very rapidly. Check out the post-op must haves I posted above, it will help you get things ready for after surgery.
    Take care and keep us posting on how you are doing.

Sandra
  • I will be having spinal fusion surgery ALIF AND PLIF L5-S1 on January 18th...definitely feeling anxious, nervous and scared.   Can anyone who has spinal fusion at this location provide some insight on how surgery went, recovery, etc? Looking for some advice.

• I am having spinal fusion surgery (L5-S1) on January 18th....definitely feeling nervous, scared, anxious.

• Thanks for the welcome memerainbolt! I will check those articles out. I was really glad to find this form. It helps to connect with folks going thru the same issues. I find myself with lots of extra time on my hands and will most likely visit here often for support. I haven't worked since before Thanksgiving and doc tells me I'll be out another 6 weeks at least after surgery.  

txdt
    Surgery Buddies helps everyone to connect with advice and support. So we hope you will visit often.

CPinkston
    No one has gone through that type of surgery yet. But you can read Dec. Surgery Buddies for more information.
    Welcome to Jan. Surgery Buddies. Please read the link above for post-op must haves, it's been a big help for everyone.
    Take care and let us know how you are doing.

Sandra
advertisement