Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Surgery

edited 12/02/2018 - 3:22 AM in Scoliosis

I am having a 2 stage surgery on the 18th ans 20th

Cages for the first then fused from T4 to pelvic

I’m scared to death. [edit] 

Edited by Liz, Spine-health Moderator To remove medical facility

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,643

Hello denisebettencourt

Welcome to Spine-Health 

For surgery support it would be a good idea to post in Surgery buddies forum.

https://www.spine-health.com/forum/categories/new-member-introductions

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • hi denise, it is normal to be scared to death, we all were, its a big surgery with a long recovery. just know we are here for you, you will get throught this. I was fused t9-s2 with pelvic fixsation.  there nothing I can say that will take away your fears because there so real. but just know how many of us here have all ready been throught it and we will be here to help you each step of the way. so don't hesatae to ask question ot share what you spcife fears are. you will see we all had them. keep posting and remember to take it all one day at a time, or even one hour at a time on bad days. hang in there..here for ya!!

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,057

Please join us in Surgery Buddies, click on Dec. and start you discussion. You will meet other members waiting on surgery giving each other a lot of support.
    Hope to see you there.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Hi Denise - I'm another in the "been there, done that" category.  My surgery also was 2 stage 2 days apart T9 - S1 fusion.  I know it is easier said than done but try to remain calm and not focus on the scary "what ifs".  I kept my mind on the other side of the surgery.  I tried not to worry or really even think about the actual surgery, I left that to my surgeon to think about.  For now, pay attention to your daily activities and which ones involve bending, lifting or twisting (BLTs) and try to make adjustments in your home that will minimize or ideally eliminate the BLT.  Bring things you will need to a level that falls between your waist and shoulders.  You know like clothes, your dinner plate, things you use on a regular basis.  If your surgical center or hospital offers a class that teaches you what to expect and how to prepare, take it.  I sat thru that twice because the first time I kind of was like a deer in the headlights.  My husband also went with me as a second set of ears. After being on this site for some time now I'm starting to realize how common fusion surgeries are.  Never realized that before.  I'm thankful that I/we live in a time and place where these corrections are possible and pretty much routine.  Also thankful for this forum and the amount of helpful information that can be found here.  Chime in here when you can and certainly keep us posted.  Cheers!

Sandi

10 level fusion T9 - S1 with pelvic fixation. Two titanium rods, 24 screws, 4 cages.

Firm believer in PMA

advertisement