Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Recovering from L4-5 microdiscectomy

I am currently 4 days post procedure and I’m having a rough time with bed rest. Before the procedure I was having constant severe leg pain with no relief. Therefore, I’m used to being uncomfortable and always moving to ease the pain. According to the surgeon the herniation was taking up 75% of my spinal canal and measured about 2 inches once it was removed. He was amazed that I still had feeling and no numbness in my leg. The post op instructions were to do nothing for 6 weeks, I can’t walk or sit at a 90 degree angle for more than 30 minutes. After the procedure the pain in my leg is completely gone and I’m able to walk without limping. I absolutely want to keep it that way! My problem is I’m going completely crazy trying rest! My back is now hurting from lying down, I keep changing positions to get comfortable, so I’m worried I will damage something because I can’t keep still. Any ideas on how to make this easier?

advertisement

Comments

• Can you sit in a recliner?  In a recliner you can change positions using the controls and avoid the ninety degree angle.

• hmayethhmayet Posts: 2
    edited 12/06/2018 - 2:59 AM

Tried the recliner on day 2 and was unable to get out of the chair without someone lifting me due to my bottom sinking into the chair. I can maybe try it again since I’m not as sore now as I was. Thanks!

• advertisement
  • The "medical" recliner, which is now sold in many furniture stores, has a lift feature.  This recliner "stands" you up.  Recliners also have supportive features for your lower back, upper back, and most importantly your neck.  I use the neck support the most.

It can be exhausting to try them all out but I recommend doing so.  Getting the right recliner that you might spend a great deal of time in and money on is important.  I live in mine.  Lol.

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,587

Did your instructions tell you complete bed rest? I know it may be painful to walk but walking will help strengthen your back muscles. For reading purpose, go to Surgery Buddies, and month, and read how other members have recovered from this same surgery.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Power lift recliners can be purchased on Amazon for a great deal. We got 1 for me, then Randy (my awesome hubby) liked mine so much he got 1 for himself. They match our regular furniture and are super easy to get out of due to the lift feature. I am able to change position any time I like.

Ours were under $400 each.

• advertisement
  • A 2 inch herniation is massive....isn't that close to the entire disc?

6 weeks bed rest? Why? How are you expected to function on week 7 with a completely atrophied body and depressive head?

• kjoy510kkjoy510 Posts: 13
    edited 12/09/2018 - 6:58 PM

Yes, the first 6 weeks is active recovery and yes you need to be careful. I’m 10 days post op from that surgery.  Walking (within reason) has been my saving grace. I have also been sitting a tiny bit (no longer then 10 min) and laying on a sofa. I was instructed to not sit in a recliner for any long periods of time because that puts pressure on the low back.

Maybe follow up with your surgeon or surgical team? It seems that maybe you’ve been given similar post op recovery instructions as many of us which includes walking to strengthen the back and aid in healing.

I’m not far ahead of you in recovery but I was fairly uncomfortable. Still a bit sor and stiff.

advertisement