Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Whiplash injury - loss of sensation -autonomic dysfunction

Hello,

I am new to the forum.  I dove off a platform about 10-12 feet in the air.  During the dive I over rotated and at the last second I looked up before hitting the water which severely forced my head back while my body rotated around it.   I had no symptoms other than amnesia and tinnitus for about an hour at first but about 8 hours later my arms began to feel like they were asleep then a burning sensation crept down my arms from the nape of my neck.  The following day I had poor coordination in my hands.  Over the next 2 months I also lost some sensitivity in my legs.  I started having insomnia and night sweats.  My heart rate increases 50 bpm when I get up in the morning and I wake with extreme anxiety as if my sympathetic and parasympathetic are imbalanced.  I also started to have cognitive issues and brain fog.  I am nauseous in the mornings and now have stomach and gut issues.  I had 1.5t MRI of brain, cervical, and thoracic spine 6 weeks after the injury that showed nothing.  I pass all neurological diagnostic exam tests.  I have no nystagmus and good strength.  I went to a prominent facility and had a tilt table test with valsalva test and sweat test for small fiber neuropathy.  Sweat test was done with 3 electrode patches on my left leg that were dosed with acedolcholine and then an electric current was passed through and rate of sweat production measured.  The tilt was for POTS and I think the valsalva was for autonomic dysfunction.  All these tests were in normal range.  I have had 2 sets of emg/ncv tests that show my nerves in my arms and legs are in great shape. 

However, I have POTS symptoms every morning I get out of bed and HR goes from 70 to 115-130 bpm.  I do not get lightheaded though.  In the shower my HR will go to 160 bpm with hot water and 120-130 with cold water.  

My heart rate and anxiety remain high through the morning.  Each time I stand my heart rate will go to 120 and stay there while I walk.  But in the after noon while standing my HR will drop back down to 70-80 while standing if I am still.  

I take a small dose of benzo to sleep at night but wake at 3 to 5 am every day.  

Recently after 6 months most feeling and most motor function has returned to hands although some days I still feel some deficit.  Touch sensitivity and hot cold sensation is pretty good every where except my calves.  

Recently right leg sensitivity became worse then left also when driving feeling of the pedal pressure is diminished.  This seems to come and go.  

I have not been successful getting new MRI in the seated position in flexsion to see if a disc is pushing on my spinal cord.  Also trying to see if I have cervical instability.  So far I am undiagnosed.  

I think post concussion syndrome and central cord syndrome.  

I am very depressed and I think the anxiety is a symptom and not a cause.  I have been to many neuros and only had one suggest cervical myelopathy.  Trying to meet with other neuros to get more answers.  Before neuros had copious amounts of blood work which is all normal.

The heart rate, insomnia, cognition, and memory issues bother me the most.  All my primary care doc and neuros at prominent facility could say was severe anxiety, but that started after the injury I was not like that before.  Now can't go to restaurant or supermarket without panic.  

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  

advertisement

Comments