Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Steroid Injections complications in facet joint

I am 12 weeks post-op operation l5 S1 microdiscectomy. Still have lots of back pain and sitting tolerance is only 10 minutes. My surgeon conducted bone scan which shows mild increase uptake on facet joints on L5-4 and left S1 joint. Now he wants be to go for steroid injections in the facet joints. My question is does anybody has any complication with these injection in the facet joint? I had one before 4 disc which went smooth and there were no complications but I am just scared of putting needles in this sensitive area. Any help would be greatly appreciated

thankyou

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,587

The area may be sensitive but maybe the steroid injections would help calm every thing down. I've had several facet joint injections and never had any complications. You have had one before, did it help? If so, this may help with the pain again.
    Take care and keep us posted.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,337
    edited 12/08/2018 - 5:11 AM

imrankh,

I have been offered facet joint injections too.  I had a Bone PET CT Scan which has increase uptake of the radioactive substance (don't remember what it was called) that was injected.  I have been doing a lot of research about these scans and how useful they are at revealing the pain generating levels.  I have found that there are many research papers that have been written about them, and I have decided to try them because, in the papers, they say that these injections have shown good results with pain relief.

12 weeks after your microdiscectomy does sound quite early on, but if your surgeon has suggested these injections to try and help with your back pain and sitting intolerance, then it should be OK.

I hope that if you decide to go ahead with them, that you will get good relief.  Please do come back and let us know how you get on.

• advertisement
  • I am prone to heart palpitations and diabetic.  After getting the injections, my glucose does rise but my PMP uses a different steroid on me than most because of my diabetes.  He also gives me a little Versed and Fentanyl right before the injections so they don't cause much discomfort.  But, I usually feel much better a few days after the injections.  I take daily meds for my back, but I have to get injections periodically to get inflammation under control.  Hopefully the injections will help you as well!

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2